I just completed a 23 minute video of making a Damascus billet using the press and power hammer.

Basic stuff really, just getting it to the first fold.

Enjoy!

Way off topic, but that is a sweet braid you have Josh. I have no hair on the top of my head, so I have to live vicariously through other people's head hair.

Back on topic, that is a nice hydraulic press! It has a fast return on it. Did you build it?

• Like 1

I did not build the press, I purchased it used from a friend and mentor. I did make all the dies though, and we have dies for other metalworking projects (forming, texturing, etc.)

The rise time for the ram is adjustable. I currently have it set to 0.5 secs before it starts going down again. I didn't show it in the video, but in the early stages of drawing out a billet, I can get two passes at 1/8 inch compression per heat for the first couple of heats. After that, the billet gets too thin and cools too quickly.

I may have the braid, but it gets thinner every year! Besides, you have a pretty cool beard, which is something I have never been able to grow (other than the chin and mustache areas).

• Like 1

LOL Gabriel, that's my wife. She routinely shows up in the videos doing various metal working projects of her own.

She's quite the artist blacksmith.

liz 025_opt.jpg

Way off topic, but that is a sweet braid you have Josh. I have no hair on the top of my head, so I have to live vicariously through other people's head hair.

Back on topic, that is a nice hydraulic press! It has a fast return on it. Did you build it?

Also way off topic...

(sorry, won't hijack this!)

Wes... you ever consider growing a skullet?

• Like 1

Also way off topic...

I just had to look that up. Hahahahahahaha, no, I will not be growing a skullet anytime soon Gabriel :) I think my wife would cease to want to be seen with me if I did...

• Like 1

Yep...

only reason I won't either.

er... my wife, not yours. I mean, my wife feels the same...

oh, nevermind...

-Gabriel

Also way off topic...

Eewwwww!