Dan Waddell

KITH blade attempt 2

Since I noobed up the heat treat on my first blade this post may be premature, but hey I'm having a good time. I finished the forge work on the blade yesterday, and wind permitting I'll work on the guard/HT over the weekend. Some wet forging revealed 2 voids in the blade. 1 near the tip and the other near the ricasso area. I was able to fix them by cutting a X with my angle grinder, and rewelding. I'm hoping they weren't just the tip of the bad weld iceburg for this project.

Here's a little photo essay on my progress so far.

20160510_095859_zpsryqog70s.jpg

I used a file and some "steel" from an aristotle furnace my friends and I made a couple weekends ago from home depot round stock. The broken knife I plan to reforge as the guard. After this picture was taken I concluded I didn't have enough material with the file alone and added some lawnmower blade in a san mai construction.

20160524_112151_zps1ad9qvdx.jpg

the bottom bar is the file/lawnmower blade, and the top is my steel after 4 folds.

20160524_124310_zpsn5kaf8lv.jpg

In the spirit of trying new things I figured a fish mouth weld was in order instead of cutting a corner off the tip end. Maybe this one should be called a pacman weld though><. I thought my carbon content ended up being pretty low so I wanted to keep it away from the edge, and preserve as much of that material as possible.

20160524_143002_zpsbucdrbyn.jpg

Here she sits fresh from the forge on what remains of the aristotle furnace. 8"blade, just under 1/4"thick, and 1 and 5/8" wide.

I seem to have lost my way a little drawing out the tang/ricasso area, but I'm looking forward to getting to the grinder and seeing what details are hiding in the steel.

More to come soon hopefully I can make the time to still be able to participate.

Thank you Caleb I was very happy with myself after forging especially since I didn't scald myself doing the wet work.

I have more to still do then I had planned, but blade #2 has made it one step further then my first try! Since I messed up the HT on blade one there isn't a whole lot of progress to report. I'll gladly baby step my way to a finished blade though.

a9ca68f1-fc16-47bc-ae1f-74b96f8ff484_zps

This is neither the best HT I've done or picture I've taken. The blade edge is harder then it was earlier today though so thats what counts right?

cae30a61-d559-49b2-8d3c-3f1a81584f55_zps

I had 2 decent warps one at the tip and the other on the spine near the ricasso. After tempering clamped to some angle iron this is the best I could get it. Luckily I left everything thick so maybe I can finish fixing the warps on the grinder.

p.s. Anyone who has suggested clamping your blade to angle iron for both grinding and warp fixing. Your awesome and thank you.

p.s. Anyone who has suggested clamping your blade to angle iron for both grinding and warp fixing. Your awesome and thank you.

I love that method. It has worked for me every single time. Did you put a shim to bend the blade against the warp?

I didn't use a shim. I've never tried this before and was worried I'd break the blade.

Just so I understand, to fix the warp you just clamp the blade against the flat side of a piece of angle iron, and possibly add a shim in there? And you do this after tempering? Do you do any heating at all? I will have to try that on the blade I just tempered. It has a very slight warp in it.

jheinen I am a noob so I can only speak to what I did. I clamped the blade against the flat side of a piece of angle iron and then put it in the oven to temper while clamped. This was enough to unbend the warp significantly, but without the use of any shims I still have a slight warp.

Edited by Dan Waddell

Just so I understand, to fix the warp you just clamp the blade against the flat side of a piece of angle iron, and possibly add a shim in there? And you do this after tempering? Do you do any heating at all? I will have to try that on the blade I just tempered. It has a very slight warp in it.

Yes. Complete your first temper cycle. On the second, clamp the blade against a piece of angle iron with the warp against it. Push a shim directly under the warp causing the blade to warp in the opposite direction. Temper the blade again clamped to the angle iron. Let it cool and then unclamp the blade and check it.

I didn't use a shim. I've never tried this before and was worried I'd break the blade.

That is why I do it during the second temper cycle, once the blade has been relaxed a bit.
Edited by Wes Detrick