A different way to forge sword "fullers"

This thread has been a wealth of information and I’m wanting to revive it because I’m gonna be doing my own experiment with the process on a full length pattern welded sword. Currently I have my middle bar at about 5/16” and my edge bars at 1/2”. My plan right now is to forge the middle “fuller” bar to the length of the blade fish mouth it then weld the edge bars 
I’m wondering if anyone has further continued with this way of forging in fullers and if they have any pointers to give on the process. 

B3C56DF1-6C4C-4AB2-867F-46B3CC9F7F8D.jpeg

Edited by Caleb Budd
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very much so, but we have already shown that several migration and viking era patterns dont look 'right' UNLESS they're made 'at' final dimension. Look at the thread on viking age wolfstooth pattern

Hey folks- It's bothered me for awhile that Viking smiths didn't have Bader grinders or spring fullers. I came up with this idea of how they might have forged their blades. It seems radical, I guess,

BAR had told me that Dr Gilmore had updated some of the book and an updated reprint was to happen.......this was in 2013 or so.

Posted Images

I have not tried it yet. I am rooting for you though!