I quenched my first blade today. Sadly it picked up a very slight warp and, worse, I think it cracked. I heard a couple of "tiks" when I stuck it in the oil, and there appears to be a thin line about an inch long next to the spine. :( I've got it in the oven tempering now. I believe the problem was the blade was simply too thin.

In any event, I plan to finish the blade regardless, as it will be a good learning experience. I hope to have better luck with my next blade. It's damascus that I made and much thicker than the first one.

Here's the blade after quench:

First Blade After Quenching

Steel is 1095, quenched in warm peanut oil. I did two normalizing cycles before quenching. After tempering the warp seems less noticeable. Not sure about a crack, there is a line but I can't tell if it's an actual crack or not.

You can straighten the blade during the temper cycle if you want. After you have completed the first temper, clamp the blade to a piece of angle iron, and put a shim in the place where the warp is, causing the blade to curve against the warp. Temper it like that and then let it cool.

Post a picture of the line, maybe one of us can tell.

Edited by Wes Detrick
  • Like 1

I sanded the blade and can find no line or any other evidence of a crack. Maybe I got lucky! I'll temper again and try the angle iron trick to remove the warp.

I sanded the blade and can find no line or any other evidence of a crack. Maybe I got lucky! I'll temper again and try the angle iron trick to remove the warp.

Austin is right, an etch would be a good idea. The bad thing about sanding is that sometimes it can work to hide small cracks and things like that.

Sometimes you get a tactile response from the scale coming off during the quench, but definitely etch it to try and find any possible cracks

Hmm...the blade was coated with liquid Brownell's anti-scaling compound. I wonder if what I heard was that stuff cracking?

I finished the knife today. I made quite a few mistakes along the way, but I learned a whole lot.

First Knife

First Knife - Detail