Forging a Damascus Ring

Hello!

It's been a good long while since I've posted any work here. In the last two years I've moved 7 times, two of which were across the country, which has made getting time in a shop difficult. Because of that, whenever I travel I usually get overly enthusiastic and make a bunch of stuff. Last month I went over to Nate Runals' and forged a ring with the help of Robert Burns. After he posted the ring tutorial, I was bitten by the bug, and it was a fantastic project. It was the first time I've ever welded in coal, which was great.

The band is 18 layers of wrought and 15n20 and the liner is sterling sliver. Originally I wanted to make the band out of wrought and pure nickel, but I couldn't get a sheet of nickel before I left. Instead of taking pictures for a WIP I filmed the entire process on my dslr.

Although the process was very smooth (due to Robert's gracious guidance!) there are a few small things that I would change. First, we did not have a torch that was quite hot enough to get the silver solder to flow which eventually worked out. I also forgot to grind the surface of the band clean before fitting the silver. That was not a huge deal but left the rails with a 'jagged' edge where it meets the wrought. In a way, it makes it feel a little more organic. Finally, when the silver began to be flared to form the rails, it slid a little to one side. To fix that I would take a small hammer and carefully bend over two or three points on each side before bringing it to the opposing ball peen hammers.

Thanks for looking!

John

Edited by John Page

Forgot to add pictures of the finished ring! Compared to the steel Robert is making, it's nothing too intense B)

I was more concerned with the process itself though, and learning as much as possible in the little time I had.

ring_1.jpg

ring_2.jpg

What temperature was the solder you were using? Something as small as a ring shouldn't be hard to solder,a hardware store plumbers propane torch would be adequate.

Did you seriously round that off entirely by hand with files? No grinder to get it closer to round first? :blink:

Fantastic video and results, thanks so much for sharing it!

Thanks gents!

Dan, the solder was a medium solder, but there was still a bit of difficulty with the propane torch. Fortunately, there was another jeweller present who had a benzene torch that got us there in the end. There were a lot of firsts in this project, and a soldering job was one of them!

And Jerrod, there may have been a little belt sanding involved ;)

John, it was awesome getting to see and work with you. Thanks for putting up with my silly work methods, love how your ring turned out and the awesome video.

Thanks Robert! It was a pleasure as always! I'll have to make it up your way one of these days soon :)