WIP: "The Skullsplitter" - Sami inspired knife (Multibar)

Ok, so I've been working for a while on this little bastard...

I was walking along the railroad tracks earlier and scrounged with me a cutoff piece of railroad as well as some plates and spikes... I've since cut those into pieces, forged and folded, twisted.. etc. etc.

Here are some pics from the process:

My drawing:

pic 001.jpg

The two first twists. 5 layers rail-road and plates:

pic 002.jpg

VIDEO: The twisting of the edge steel.

The two twists and the content of the last bar - the edge steel, consisting of #15, #20 and some old files:

pic 003.jpg

The edge steel pieces welded together:

pic 004.jpg

VIDEO: The forge welding of the three bars combined.

And here is a test-etch at #400 grit sandpaper:

Hausakljufr 001.jpg

Closeup:

Hausakljufr 002.jpg

The two two upper bars are 5 layers railroad and railroad plates.

The third bar - the edge stee - is 160 layers #15, #20 and old files steel. Twisted 20 times.

More to come I suppose... ^_^ Next up is another 10 hours of polishing - final etch - and then the handle... :lol:

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

You are putting that new hammer to good use I see!

Hell yeah man! ^_^

Still - even with the hammer - at this current stage - I've still managed to put in about 30 hours of work to get to this point... Now I can only imagine how many hours that would've been if I'd done it manually. :lol:

Hell yeah man! ^_^

Still - even with the hammer - at this current stage - I've still managed to put in about 30 hours of work to get to this point... Now I can only imagine how many hours that would've been if I'd done it manually. :lol:

Well, if it were me, you would have to add about 8 hours of forging for each high layer bar. 2 or 3 for each of the lower layers.

I'm happy to see you break the bonds of hand hammering, especially with such a great looking project :)

Well, if it were me, you would have to add about 8 hours of forging for each high layer bar. 2 or 3 for each of the lower layers.

I'm happy to see you break the bonds of hand hammering, especially with such a great looking project :)

Yeah. Still I have to hammer some by hand though. I don't know why, perhaps it is my position relative to the dies on the hammer, or the inaccuracy in the hammer dies themselves - but my billets tend to get a bit scewered when they get long, so I have to lift them over to the anvil and true'em up by hand before continuing on the air hammer. I still feel I have allot more control with the 1.5kg hammer rather than the 16kg air-hammer... :lol:

Alright - so I've put in another 10 hours of work - this time on the handle:

skaft limt.jpg shaft filt.jpg

Video: https://youtu.be/MOPbDHWQwpo(cutting, drilling, filing...)

Video: https://youtu.be/KoprGtojvVA(more filing and shaping...)

I really hate drilling and filing those square holes - but there's no other alternative I suppose. I want to buy a milling machine this summer to make better holes basically... ^_^ I'll have to cancel my vacation to finance it though... But hey - at least a milling machine will last me a whole lot longer than two weeks in the sun... :lol:

Another 3 hours 15 minutes of work today... final filing and sanding. I went from needle files straight to #400 and then #800 paper - then oiled...

skaft 001.jpg skaft 002.jpg

The wood is American Holly - the spacers are black vulcanized fiber and silver tinn. Oh, and ofc. two copper spacers at the front and back. guard and pommel are 160 layers folded steel - the same as in the edge-steel of the knife - just not twisted.

Video: https://youtu.be/41pfG5uj7LU(Filing, sanding and oiling...)

Alright - so the knife is finally finished. After a few rounds of #200, #400, #800 and #1500 sandpaper and etch - having let it get some air for a few days - certain pittings and flaws have appeared... :unsure:

And here it is:

Hausakljufr Set2-1.jpg

Hausakljufr Set2-2.jpg

Hausakljufr Set2-3.jpg

Hausakljufr Set2-4.jpg

Hausakljufr Set2-5.jpg

Now - my only question that remains is - can I even sell this - or is it too flawed? :huh:

And if I can - how much could I reasonably charge for this? Note - it will be coming with a leather sheath I will make next week. I will post progress pics of that as well in this thread.

The labour time on this knife is approx. 60 hours, 30 of which is in the steel itself... I've worked on it for 12 days, and clocked about 5 hours a day.

I have no idea how much I should charge for something like this - considering the time and effort - not to mention the belts for the belt sander, discs for the angle grinders, sand paper - which is by no means cheap - and ofc. the materials of the blade and handle - which is not free either... :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

Edited by Alveprins

That is a uniquely attractive knife.

Kinda hard to pin it down to a particular style, but it looks really good nonetheless.

Charge what you think it's worth. It'll either sell or it won't.

• Like 1

That turned out beautifully! And don't feel bad about the flaws, no one becomes a master overnight, and every flaw and failure is worth it if you learn something!

You should charge what you see it as worth, I would say no lower than $650 given that there is a certain complexity to the piece with the PWing and the handle. But I would say charge higher than that, and see if you can sell it. If you can't sell it, keep it and store it away. Afterall, if you manage to get a name for yourself, it will be worth 10 times what it is now then ;)

• Like 1

That turned out beautifully! And don't feel bad about the flaws, no one becomes a master overnight, and every flaw and failure is worth it if you learn something!

You should charge what you see it as worth, I would say no lower than $650 given that there is a certain complexity to the piece with the PWing and the handle. But I would say charge higher than that, and see if you can sell it. If you can't sell it, keep it and store it away. Afterall, if you manage to get a name for yourself, it will be worth 10 times what it is now then ;)

Thanks! :)

Actually I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 780USD (6500 Norwegian) which I think is pretty damn cheap considering the hours - and the fact that all materials and stuff is included in that price.

I've been busy at work the past few days due to some project deadlines and stuff, but as of tonight I am good for a week or two - so I will start working on the sheath tomorrow morning before work. I got the leather, and a whole bunch of leather working tools bough off E-Bay waiting for me at home - so this is going to be interesting. Been watching alot of leather tooling, dying, staining and polishing videos in the meantime - so I am totally ready now..! :lol:

I'll post images and video of the proccess once I'm done. ^_^

Alright - so the sheath is finally finished. This is the first leather sheath I have ever made. I actually unpacked lots and lots of leather working equipment I'd ordered off E-Bay right before starting yesterday. I had to cram it all into my bedroom since all other spaces are now taken... :lol:

Ok, so some pics I suppose:

slire 001.jpg

slire 002.jpg

slire 003.jpg

slire 004.jpg

slire 005.jpg

slire 006.jpg

slire 007.jpg

slire 008.jpg

slire 009.jpg

slire 010.jpg

And ofc, VIDEO: https://youtu.be/e9cmiQ7Ynh0 (leatherwork is so much less exciting than forging.....)

Ye' Gods man!

Your first leather sheath? Did I read that correctly?

I doubt my thousandth will look as good!

I don't know if you can hear it all the way in Norway, but my clapping for you is waking my whole family up!

-Gabriel

• Like 1

Nice clean leatherwork man! Doubly so since this is your first sheath!

Did you skive the belt loop on the back? I actually quite like leatherwork which was a surprise when I started knifemaking.

• Like 1