a bit of excitement!!

I tested for Journeyman smith rating at the blade show, and passed!!! I have been a pro knife and sword maker for 15 years but his process did more to challenge and advance my skill than anything else I have ever done. I am a far batter maker now than when I started this. I had coop take some Pro pic of my set and will post them when i get them back but for now this is a photo of my judging display as well one of me receiving my "stamp". the ABS is not for every one but the act of testing your self against at imposed standard is worth doing. I will never be sorry I took the time and effort to do this.

MP

js.jpg

abs testknives.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations!

You deserve it. The stuff you post on this website, and your opinion on how joining the ABS helped you better yourself as a blade maker is are two reasons why I finally joined this year.

Well done.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Matt! Glad to see a test set that doesn't look like everyone else's make it in, too!

Who's that other name besides Howard on your performance test blade?

Congrats Matt! Well deserved for your skill. It's encouraging to hear you're having such a positive experience and that, with the challenges of the test, you've found so much worthwhile improvement in the process even after so many years in the craft.

Edited by John Page

Congratulations Matt! It is well deserved. You are a great maker, and as Alan said, I am glad your presentation set is unique. Your knives have character.

Good job Matt! I never doubted that you'd pass.

good for you. Glad to see that coffin handle finally learned its lesson and let you finish it!

• Like 1

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the pro pics. I love one in the middle (integral?)

Grats Matt!

Kevin Casey told me if you join the ABS it's best to go all the way and get your MS stamp... Are you?

-Gabriel

Congratulations, Matt! Glad to see a test set that doesn't look like everyone else's make it in, too!

Who's that other name besides Howard on your performance test blade?

The second signature is Rick Dunkerly, I think the reason so many knives look the same is that is what has passed before and folks are afraid to deviate from that, several MS that have been in the room testing and that tested me told me that one of the things they liked the most in my set what that they were all different and showed a range as well as a control of process. I also made sure that I had three knives that fit with in the "standard" ABS style to show that I can do that style of work and am not limited to my normal style.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the pro pics. I love one in the middle (integral?)

yes a w1 integral with stag, it is a take down and has a Pretty good Hamon. ( didnt quite have the balls to etch it )

Grats Matt!

Kevin Casey told me if you join the ABS it's best to go all the way and get your MS stamp... Are you?

-Gabriel

that is a the ultimate goal, one of the main reasons I joined was so that i could teach at the ABS schools and I need to be a mastersmith to do so. in point of fact I have truely enjoyed my membership in the ABS the northeastern crew is a really great bunch of guys. as i heard Nick Rossi say one time come for the knives stay for the people!

Congrats Matt! I had no doubt you would pass, but I was nervous for you knowing that you banged out all 5 of those knives in just a couple of weeks and got sick in the middle of it. Must feel like a huge weight off your shoulders now! Two more years till you can test for MS right? =) You can borrow my Kevin Cashen quillon dagger dvd any time you want =D

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Justin Mercier

This is news? No wait....this is GREAT news. Not that I had any doubts once I started seeing the pieces develop on fb.

Congrats Matt, and I second Alan's statement that this is one of the most diverse sets I have ever seen. It gives me hope that future JS applicants will step a little outside the box and push the whole organization forward.

Thank you for having the courage and dignity to be true to yourself and your art. You have done the ABS a great service by obtaining this goal.