I have finally buckled down and ordered myself some ceramic blanket and refractory and plan to make a propane tank forge. I have never built a burner myself and have negligible experience with operating one. I am thinking of making it a horizontal forge with a single burner (or should I go two??) but I would like to be able to dabble into PWing, but it will be mostly used for heat-treating and forging. How should I go about building it??

Timothy

I'd go with a Venturi for first build. Easy, cheap, teaches you a few things about flame, combustion, and aerodynamics. I did it with no problem and I'm 16 with no plumbing experience and practically no money XD. I haven't done a blown though, so I can't speak for that.

There are a LOT of threads on this topic, some are even pinned threads. Use Google to search for them rather than the forum search tool. There are pros and cons for blown and venturi as well as vertical and horizontal.

site:bladesmithsforum.com forge design

site:bladesmithsforum.com forge build

This question comes up more times than you can possibly imagine.

Jerrod beat me to it......

As said before, lots if threads over this. To answer you're question, either one. They both get the job done. I use a venturi, specifically a NC Tool Whisper Momma. Warms up quickly, reaches welding temps, and is in the middle on efficiency.

Venturi burners are incredibly easy to make, and because they can be used anywhere, I prefer them for that reason. I have built a number of venturi forges now and have never turned back. all you need is a #57 drill bit and a plumbing section of any hardware store and you're in business. Although I've never heard of a 2 burner vertical forge doesn't mean it isn't possible! For a simple look at venturi burners, I wrote a blog post a while back-

simple venturi burners

The parts list is in part #1 but as long as you get the orifice close to the right size it's decently hard to complicate.

John

John recently showed me the simplicity of venturi forges. I had a two burner mankel (blown) for the longest time, and that thing would no kidding get my shop up to 110 degrees within an hour of using it so long as the ambient temperature was above freezing. The venturi forge John helped me make is an absolute joy to use, much quieter, much less dragon's breath, but still gets the work plenty hot in no time.

Both styles are great though. It's personal preference, it largely depends on what type of work you do, and even more importantly how well the forge is designed.

My old venturi ate a load more propane than my new forced air. Gets faster hot and hotter when I barely open the gas. With the gas pricing

here, Im saving a lot of money! Not going back..

For a airblower, Im jusing a blower from one of those childrens inflateable jumping castles(No idea what its called in english). Looks like a forging air blower, but cost me a 10th of the price!!

My old venturi ate a load more propane than my new forced air. Gets faster hot and hotter when I barely open the gas. With the gas pricing

here, Im saving a lot of money! Not going back..

For a airblower, Im jusing a blower from one of those childrens inflateable jumping castles(No idea what its called in english). Looks like a forging air blower, but cost me a 10th of the price!!

Same and I wired in a variable speed switch for mine so forced air is controlled from min to max and everything in between

image_zpsk4lpar8s.jpeg

@John, in your blog (I had planned on using it before you even posted it in here :P ) you used 1/4" nipples and a 3/4 x 1 1/4 bell. I only could find a 3/4 x 1 bell so I got a 1/8" nipple instead. Anyone can answer this is they know, but I am curious if the smaller size will affect the overall performace of the burner significantly?

It shouldn't matter too much. The gas pipe diameter doesn't mater at all as long as the drilled orifice is an appropriate size (I used a #57, but a size up or down would probably be fine) you'll be alright. The bell reduction on the inlet end is less important too, as long as there is ample room for air intake. The velocity/pressure changes on the inlet are not very precise, so as long as it is unobstructed you'll be fine!