GEzell

Inspiration finally came

My favorite hardware store sold out a few years ago and now sells only high-priced tat. My first 2 dozen knives were made from hardware store castoffs, and I was not entirely sure I wanted to go back there... So finding inspiration for this kith was not coming easily. Then cousin Bill showed up with 2 pieces of rusty metal, its good to know there are still people out there that see rusty metal and think of me...:)

The rusty metal Bill brought me was a big file and what I think was a grounding rod. The file turned out to be an old Nicholson black diamond, made in the US of A. So I welded them together in a san mai. It has how been heat-treated and is awaiting a false edge and just the right hammer/axe/hoe handle with pretty grain to show up...

Beautiful!

I hope inspiration doesn't wait so long to help you finish! :lol:

I would leave it just as it is George. I like the shape. Give it an oval handle, moderate guard with shape and that's a winner.

Gary LT

thats one sexy point

Yeah buddy! I'm liking that blade.

I would leave it just as it is George. I like the shape. Give it an oval handle, moderate guard with shape and that's a winner.

Gary LT

Thanks guys. Gary, that is the idea at this point, my plan is to file/grind in a false edge, an oval guard from a copper bus bar, and a coffin handle.... and I reckon it needs a simple sheath. The one thing I'm still uncertain about is handle material, I have some old flooring I can use but I'm really hoping for just the right tool handle to show up with interesting grain. I have two or three commissions I'm also in the process of finishing, so I need to keep things simple in order to have this finished on time.

DSCN0417_zpsbouoztep.jpg

Knife is finished,ended up using red oak for the handle, bought at the local Lowe's. The sheath will be made from poplar from the same source. I really like the carbon migration effect in the blade...

Wow, I think that is my favorite so far. Who do I have to bribe for the drawing ;)

this is hot, what did the copper from the guard/ferrule come from? do you have any WIPs of those?

Dang, nice one George!

this is hot, what did the copper from the guard/ferrule come from? do you have any WIPs of those?

The guard is from a electrical panel bus bar, the spacer is also from some forgotten electrical something or other, I've had it laying around for years and don't really remember, but it was from back in my material scrounging days... There was a time when every knife I made was from scavenged parts.

Thanks guys.

I like it. I think the concept/shape is what one would have seen in 1820's. Really like the domed pins, gotta learn how to do that!

GT