Damascus Seax WIP

This is the second blade I've made. It's 15n20/1084 damascus with a ladder pattern. I normalized the blade yesterday and was surprised to see the pattern appear with no scale. I'm pretty pleased with it. After final grinding will probably finish with a curly maple handle and brass fittings (or maybe buffalo horn?).

Pattern

Edited by jheinen
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

So it's been quite awhile since I updated this project. I back-burnered it while I worked on some other knives, but over the last week I fitted the handle parts, and today I etched the blade. I'm pretty happy with the pattern given that this is the first damascus I've made. I plan to glue up the handle tomorrow, and hopefully finish the blade this week.

large.IMG_0408.JPG

• Like 2

As I recall , it's 272 layers of 1084/15N20. I ground the grooves 1/4" apart (1/2" offset top and bottom).

Edited by jheinen

Handle pieces fitted and everything glued up. The handle is curly maple with an African blackwood collar, brass bolster and spacer. The blackwood is a real pain to work with. I snapped two drill bits drilling out the slot. 

large.IMG_0414.jpg

Finished. Blade is 7" long, overall length is 12". This is my fifth completed knife. Now if I can figure out how to make sheaths.

large.fullsizeoutput_f2c.jpeg

• Like 2