Sign in to follow this  
James R.Fuller

WonderBowie

If you couldn't guess from the title, I ended up using a Stanley wonderBar for my

Blade steel. I know it's not the most creative, but my first try wouldn't harden up correctly. I'm not quite finished up, but I figured I'd post a couple pictures so people could see how mine is coming. Along with the wonderBar, I used a brass bar salvaged from a door for the guard and sub-guard, with a handle made from HDPE. Now... I sorta, kinda, mighta bent the rules a tinsy bit.... HDPE is what a lot of heavy duty bottles are made from. Some examples of where you can find it at a place like lowes would be: 5 gallon buckets, bottles of vinegar, bleach, and other various heavy chemical cleaners. I did use a few vinegar bottles purchased from Lowes... However, I also used a few milk jugs I had lying around, as they are also made from HDPE. I cut the jugs up into pieces, stuck it in a pan, and baked it at 375* for about an hour.. The material melted down into a solid lump, which was then pushed into a temporary mold

Made out of a few 2X4s clamped together. It all worked out fairly well, but when I really started grinding into the plastic, I found a bunch of air bubbles. Luckily, I really feel like they add to the overall intention of the design. It is a really tough material that is also fairly light. It is also not nearly as fun to work with as wood is... Anyways, tell me what you guys think! Remember, it's not quite finished.

Blade is exactly 8" long, 12.25 oal.

5160 steel

Brass guards

High Density polyethylene handle.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One more pic showing the whole profile a little clearer...:)

image.png

Nice. I think the HDPE approach is brilliant. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Thats a really novel handle . The knife looks great. If you wanted to fill those bubbles how about a white epoxy?

I wanted to use epoxy, but unfortunately, glue doesn't stick well to HDPE. I filled a few of the holes, and after it cured they kept popping right out... Hence the last thing I really need to do to this blade is pin the handle on...

OK. That's pretty freakin' cool.

This is a super sharp looking knife. The HDPE was a brilliant idea, and definitely out of the box.

Dont worry about the wonderbar. I am doing the same thing, and so are a bunch of other guys. I really wish I had had the time for something as awesome as bandsaw/shovel damascus, but it just wasnt in the cards for this year.

OK. That's pretty freakin' cool.

Double that!

Just an idea, if you can find a paint that will adhere to the HDPE, you could always add a coat or two and then sand down the handle pieces again to leave all of the cavities with a different color/colors!

I think I saw a guy on Youtube just use acrylic and mix it in. It can create some cool effects.

I actually like the pits. Gives it a sort of oosik look.

I also rather like the pits... However, I do wish they weren't there at all... My wife is a rather talented artist, and we had planned on doing something akin to scrimshaw on the handle... the plastic responded quite well in the initial tests....But alas... even if I were to fill the holes with something, I do not believe it would be workable in this way... so I will stick with the rather charming pitting... :)

Here is a pic so you can see what might've been, though...

Bear test.JPG

Edited by James R.Fuller

Only Alan and akin something to a whales penis and it be a compliment :P

I like this idea a lot! I saw a guy on Youtube use this material to make his own rubber mallets (plastic/whatever) and ive wanted to try it. Do you think if you had it in a press with angle iron and some bolts to fix the air pockets in future attempts?

worked out great without the cure bear.

Gabriel,

I think that I'd have had less air pockets if I'd have cut the plastic into smaller, more uniform shapes. It also would have helped if I had cook it down in a mold, rather than transfer it to one after melting it down.