Steve Nowacki

Nomad in stainless / carbon san mai and spalted hornbeam

Hello gents

Here's one I finished just in time for the UK Knifeshow held on the 26/06/16.

The blade is a stainless / carbon san mai, tripple layer, tri laminate, three piece, multi section blade. The core is EN45 with 431 stainless outer layers. Blade length is 130mm, overall length is 250mm. The blade billet started out at 200 x 11 x 40 and after forging finished up at 330 x 5.5 x 45. The blade has a full flat grind with a tapered tang. The handle is made from spalted hornbeam with black liners, 1/4" S/S corby bolts, a hand made mosaic pin and S/S thong tube.

I wanted something a little different for the sheath for this one. The sheath has a Kydex look, but is made from 3.5mm Spanish shoulder leather, wet moulded and dyed saddle tan. The sheath doesn't have a welt, but is stitiched and has 8-10 1/4" black Kydex rivets spaced at 1 1/2" centres for a complete ambidextrous carry with a Blade Tech Tek-Lok belt clip.

Thank you for taking the time to look. All comments and questions very welcome.

All the best

Steve

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2902.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

DSCF2904.jpg

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

DSCF2907.jpg

DSCF2908.jpg

• Like 1

I'm liking that a lot! Good workmanlike blade shape, and that woodwork is spectacular! A strong working knife.

Thank you for your comments gents. I've been itching to get this one finished especially over the cold steel fiasco.

Cheers

Steve

love the composition and stainless steel included. great!

What a cool knife Steve! It's like a harpoon point but swept waaaaay back. I love it.

that's a really cool knife! the leather sheath with teklok is something I have never seen before and is really cool!

I've always liked that shape for a field knife. The prototype Schrade Sharpfinger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpfinger) was my ideal EDC for along time. The carbon/stainless san mai just makes it better, and I like the hornbeam too! Never would have thought about the teklok, but I have been known to put steel spring clips on small sheaths just 'cause they're so handy. Nice job!

It definitely has a little bit of sharp finger influence Alan, the shape of the handle fits very snuggly in my hand. I can't vouch for the practicality of the Tek-Lok belt clip at the moment, but I can't see any draw backs other than the sheath sitting further away from your hip. If I encounter any problems I'll make two Kydex belt loops up, hold the ends together with a Kydex rivet, backed up with a couple of small rubber washers as spacers and then attach to the sheath with Chicago screws.

Steve

Steve, you never fail to impress! Love that Hornbeam, and it works so well with the San Mai.

The shape is so nice, I'm stealing that design.........

Shrade-like indeed. A knife with a good reputation. Love the San-mai, something I've been trying to work on. Well done sir!

Gents

Thank you for your comments. Joshua go for it buddy I'd love to see one of these made by you with a Damascus blade.

I agree with what Alan said (I do that a lot, actually).

cool knife.

I have a personal affliction (one of many, both physical and mental) that causes me to have to put metal bolsters or a guard on every knife I make. However, in the case of your knife, the choice of durable wood and the associated lighter weight are very good. I just have to get over it.

Great looking little knife.

kc

Kevin you aren't wrong about the bolsters, I had planned to put dove tailed gun blued bolsters and dove tail the handle scales, but decided against it in the end. Mainly as I plan to carry this blade myself and a time factor, I wanted to get the knife complete for the UK Knifeshow and I was up against it with the show fast approaching.

The knife is really light and I don't think the inclusion of bolsters would have adversley effected the way it handles. The final look of the knife is slightly different than I had originally planned. It would have had gun blued bolsters and gun blued corby bolts. A friend of mine is a really good machinist and I gave him a 1/4" S/S corby bolt as a pattern so he could make a pair in carbon steel so they could be gun blued unfortunately he hasn't had the time to complete them for me yet. So the knife finished up slightly different to my original idea.

That is one nice little knife. I wish that we had a supplier of EN45 equivalent steel here in the states. I love the stuff.

Doug