Sign in to follow this  
grpaavola

A couple more weeks?

So...

I have many reasons/ excuses but life has gotten in the way.

As the clock ticks down I am dealing with flu going through my family (twice this month) and a move.

My KITH is almost done... all glued up but needs some clean up and edge put on.

So I thought I would ask,

Anyone need a little more time?

I just like having a cushion... but I am killing myself juggling all these chainsaws.

I just want who ever gets my name I might be a few days late getting it out.

-Gabriel

You won't be the only late one... I'm at a conference from June 30 till July 3, and without wi-fi so I will have 3 days of not knowing who got mine and which i get... So I won't be able to send mine out until the 4th at the earliest.

I'll be traveling until the 11th. I'll have interweb access, and can communicate with my victom lucky recipient, but won't be able to ship until probably the 11th or 12th. I'll pack the knife up before I leave town so it will just be a matter to slapping on the label and getting to the post office.

I am not the final word on this by any means, but I just want to throw this out there.

When I considered entering this KITH, I did some reading of the past KITH threads. One of the things that really struck me was people who entered, sent out a knife to someone else, and when all was said and done, did not receive a knife in return.

Now, I'm not usually a stickler when it comes to rules, and I remember a quote from the late, great Douglas Adams:

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

But, what absolutely cannot happen here is for a few folks to be granted time past the stated due date, only to further procrastinate or be delayed for one reason or another, and never send a knife out to the intended recipient.

That would S**K in the worst way possible.

I trust that everyone here has the best of intentions, but we all know what the road to Hell is paved with........

If there are enough people who need a little extra time, why not set a "Late-Date" and have those people sign up and trade knives among themselves?

Otherwise, this might never finish, and I really need to get that knife off of my desk.

Edited by Joshua States

I agree with Joshua on this, I will only be shipping mine out 3 days late, but it will be all packaged up beforehand so that when I get back on monday it's shipped! I am really want my knife to have a lucky recipient on Friday, because it's not like it's doing anything useful :P Plus, I would love to know that one is coming my way at the very same time!

I agree with Mr. States. I think that the due date should not be changed. Anyways, I don't want someone to enter in a knife that they have rushed at the very last second. It does not represent their craftsmanship. I think that a photo of the knife/existing WIP thread with pictures should be required to enter. I don't know exactly how tight-knit bladesmithsforum is, but has there been an instance where some random person just threw his name in there?

I am not sure I agree with Joshua. I think that giving a week or two extra time isnt necessarily due to procrastinating and certainly not with dishonesty. Although I agree that having an individual not submit a blade when they promised one would be the most grievous of sins here (and I recall it happening once before), I think that assuming the worst from people sort of undermines the entire purpose of this community. I also think that making a "losers pool" out of the people who had stuff come up, or a multitude of other life-related issues might also be in poor form. Last week I had a friend who needed a place to stay and dropped by suddenly, an "altercation" with my neighbor about how disruptive my smithing is and a cat at home who had stroke a few months back (who I am taking care of because the GF has been on a business trip for 6 weeks). As the old adage says, "S*%t happens". If all goes according to plan I should have everything done by the end of the month regardless, but having a few extra days would hardly offend my honor :)

I will also point out that last year an extension was granted. I was pretty excited to have it all said and done, but it was no skin off my nose to just put it on a shelf and kick back. It gave me some simmer time to look at it and redo the sheath, if I remember.

Just my two cents. Ultimately though, I think we should leave it to an actual vote. We are all in this together, so to speak.

My reason to participate in these is to make a knife that I wouldn't normally have made, and then to send it to someone. I am much less interested in the knife I receive. If someone can live with themselves after not honoring their commitment, it is alright by me.

As far as I am concerned, if you think you are going to be done within a few days of the deadline, then put your name on the done list. Then again, that is just me...

Arr, hang the rule me hearties :)

I was initially leaning towards the hard deadline, which was easy to do since mine is finished and I have to deal with inflexible deadlines at work so I'm just kind of wired that way.

That said, there has been a precedent of granting extensions. I'd be fine with a two week extension PROVIDED that midnight July 14 is a true hard deadline, no questions asked, no begging for more. I'm just suggesting this as a participant in the KITH (and a first-time one at that), not in any way as a moderator/admin. It's your game!

I also don't like the idea of a late pool, but if y'all want to do that go for it.

Maybe I (or someone) should set up a poll? Only those who have not withdrawn allowed to vote, of course.

Three options: Hard deadline tomorrow at midnight, hard deadline at midnight July 14, or two drawings. I'm fine with any of that, again in my capacity of a participant and not as an admin.

As for not sending a knife, well, if you want to risk your reputation that's up to you. I think that's only happened once and the guy was never heard from again, but I didn't keep up with the whole KITH thing until this time around.

I would be okish with a later deadline, just if it's as late as July 14, I probably won't be able to ship mine until August 5th or 6th due to being out of the country. If people are ok with not recieving my blade until lat August, then go ahead and change the deadline. I jsut don't want to leave someone hanging.