My First Bar-Stock Blade

Here's the first blade I've made from bar-stock steel. I don't have the means to heat treat myself, so I sent it out to J & L Cutlery for that. After I polished it, I sent it back out for the handle to be done, as I haven't done one yet. I didn't attempt the handle myself because I'll be donating this piece for for the SBG Sword Forum's Holiday Giveaway, and I wanted experienced hands to do the handle. I'll be doing my own handles from now on...wish me luck!

AS07JLC
Khopesh Inspired, Fantasy Chopper/Slicer
Blade by Appleseed Sharpening
Heat Treat & Handle by J & L Cutlery

Stats:

1075 Steel
Method: Stock Removal
Heat Treat: Approx. 56 HRC
Overall Length: 20"
Grip Length: 5.75"
Blade Length: 14.25"
Edge Length: 12"
Weight: 1 lb, 4 oz
POB: 8.75" From Butt
Handle: Tiger-Stripe Maple

PCU6zQA.jpg

Edited by Jason McEntee
Fixed image link.
  • Like 1

Oooooo, pretty!Have you/will you do any test cuts before the giveaway?

Thank you. Not planning on it, as I want whoever ends up with it to be the first to get to cut with it. It passed the paper test, and shaved hair off of my arm. It's a little heavy, but the POB gives it blade presence in just the right spot.

Thank you. Not planning on it, as I want whoever ends up with it to be the first to get to cut with it. It passed the paper test, and shaved hair off of my arm. It's a little heavy, but the POB gives it blade presence in just the right spot.

Ya, it looks like it would be a mean cutter. I hope whoever gets it puts it to use, it would be a shame not to murder some milk jugs with it ;)

• 1 month later...

Nice looking job on that knife! I think when you start doing your own handles that hand tools work better, or a least give more control, than power tools. I use Japanese wood carving rasps from Woodcraft and bastard files.

Doug

Nice looking job on that knife! I think when you start doing your own handles that hand tools work better, or a least give more control, than power tools. I use Japanese wood carving rasps from Woodcraft and bastard files.

Doug

Thanks! I have started doing my own handles, here's my first two:

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33937

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33938

I found a video on YouTube where a guy used narrow strips of sandpaper--holding them by the ends, using a back and forth motion. This worked wonderfully, so hand sanding is the way to go I think.

Edited by Jason McEntee