Sign in to follow this  
Troels Saabye

buying a power hammer in Europe

Hi guys

so I have been doing some thinking, and came across the idea of getting my hands on a power hammer. But I´m having a hard time finding a supplier closer to where I live (preferably in the European Union) Does anyone have any ideas ? I was thinking about getting a C41-25 Forging hammer 25kg, not the biggest around but Im not planning on going nuts ;) just for hobby damascus.

Or should I just stick with building a treadle hammer ?

Edited by Troels Saabye

I'm fairly sure John Nicholson at Massey Forging in the UK ("John N" here on the forum) is selling Chinese hammers again.

If you can build a treadle hammer, it's a short step to a powered version. If I had a choice between a small hammer and a press (for making damascus), I'd go with a press.

Just my opinion of course, and to tell the truth, I have both :P .

Geoff

okay :). i´m not quite sure about the press, mainly due to not knowing a lot about them. Sounds like I have some more reading to do ;)

I know Angele, a german firm for blacksmithing supplies sells powerhammers, maybe something to look into.

They also offer all kinds of parts for the machines they sell and have a good reputation, and knowledgeable customer service.

http://www.angele-shop.com/shop/de/welt-des-schmiedens/maschinen/

If I were you I would also look for used powerhammers on your local eBay or something like it.

There are quite a few power hammers hidden all over Europe, and can be bought for alot cheaper then a new machine.

often these old machines are built like a tank, and easy to repair yourself.

I myself have an old spring hammer, and it hits hard, is easy to repair/modify and most importantly fitted in my tight budget.

Okay ​Pieter-pauld :) sounds like a great idea.

Edited by Troels Saabye

Hi Troels

You will probably not find any used hammers here in Denmark - Germany is the place to look ......Ebay for used hammers or Angele if its going to be a new hammer ......but you should be able to find a good used hammer somewhere in Germany.

You could try Sweden too.....

A used hammer will be fine - we have a used Russian 80 kg airhammer in the shop ...made in 1979 ....does a good job......

A 25 kilo hammer should be fine for making damascus but a press is also a good idea ....its not as noisy which is sometimes important and its pretty handy for making any type of canned damascus ....

Anyway ....a airhammer is quite an investment ....even used ones cost 20.000 - 25.000 Dkr ....( 3500 - 4000 $ .....)

Lars

Hi Lars

didn´t expect to find another dane on this board ;). Yeah they are really pricy, right now im revisiting my first idea of a treadle hammer. Just finished the "hammerhead" which is about 50kg, and now im searching all over my parents farm for parts.

Im thinking about building the frame from timber, since the only other materials(would that be a problem ?) I can acces are some huge I beams and I do want some mobility. What do you guys think about this : the base is 1.5 meters x 1 meter and the anvil face is 85 cm above ground is that unrealistic ?

btw - there seems to be quite a few on ebay.de :)http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lufthammer-35-KG-Titan-/122036698668?hash=item1c69f43e2c:g:oz4AAOSwSzdXBC~4 though it seems a bit used.

Angele has a fleamarket section, very much worth looking at.

Machineseeker.com might help. Tends to be larger machinery.

Local ebay or equivalent, and those of of neighbouring countries can help too.

Wooden framed hammers were known in the US in the 19th century, but not common. I don't how you would move such a thing. If it's heavy enough to withstand the forces, you'd need a big tractor to move it. Generally a hammer like that would have a very large post for the backbone, which would be anchored in the ground.

Be very carefull. Even a treadle hammer puts a lot of force on the frame. A number of years ago a smith on this forum was using a shop built power hammer. The frame was made of a top bolted to a column and base. It sheared one bolt under load, started to torque sideways, and ripped itself apart. It shot a large billet of damascus up the smiths sleeve, resulting in skin grafts and at least a year out of work.

These are good videos if you're planning on making your own. It's sort of sad for me to hear these, Grant was a great smith and tool maker in my area, he died suddenly a few years back.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff :), Sorry to hear about Grant. Well I didn´t expect it to be completly risc free :) the stuff we got is quite heavy(some logs around 15-20"), and I maybe able to build most in metal, if I can get to the bottom of our scrap pile :lol: but that´s gonna take some hard work. ​I dont plan on moving the hammer when it is made, Im building it in one of the barns which we rarely use though we do have alot of tractors to move it if neccesary ;)