So I'm really new to all of this, but what I've done and accomplished have been a lot of fun.

So I built my own forge out of a charcoal grill and I thought everything was going to be perfect, or even decent. However with my first attempt to get air into the forge I destroyed my small shop vac (long story no need to go into detail.) On my second attempt I used a larger shop vac but now the issue is it's too much power and it blows all the ashes everywhere. I haven't fired up the forge with the new air source yet, especially now after seeing that it's too powerful.

Any suggestions on how to lessen the amount of air or even power running into my forge?

Also I'm on a tight budget, I was able to get this large shop vac for free so I would like to figure out a way to utilize it.

Thanks for your help and input!

Harrison

I do not like to restrict the intake or output on my blower.

I am using a shopvac hose between my blower and burner. I cut a 4" piece of shop vac hose and split it length ways so I could slip it over the shop vac hose where I have a series of holes drilled between my blower and burner to give air an alternate escape route. I move the 4" piece to cover or uncover certain holes to provide the necessary air flow.

You can also get a thing called a Router Speed Control from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool or another cheap Chinese crap store of your choice. It is just a variable resistor in a little box with a knob on it that plugs in between the shop vac and the outlet. It will allow you to dial the motor speed down to almost nothing, and will set you back around $30 US.

It also makes for a quieter experience, since at 1/10 speed the shop vac isn't sounding like a jet engine.

I'd try to find a more suitable air source, but the speed control will work in the meantime.

last time i bought a cheap ass adapter from china, 2 years ago... ive still never received my part :P

What fuel are you planning on running? You could take an inlet pipe and put a notch in it and use a flat piece of metal in the slot to deflect the air. Ive seen them put in to friction fit with a lever for ease of adjustments. its not a tight fit but has some room for air to escape. On my charcoal forge i turn the air super low to conserve fuel!