JJ Simon

Received my knife.

HA!

I know how you feel ;)

This is my second completed one!

-Gabriel

I got mine today, I'm excited for the next one having participated in every kith so far every one is a blast and has pushed me as a craftsman to do better each time around.

Well......We can always start ideas for the next KITH.

It would take a while for everyone to chime in accordance anyway.

Maybe to be completed early next year or mid year or whatever.

Some thoughts?

Kitchen/culinary type knife, Friction folder, Historical Repro~maybe a dagger?

Just trying to keep it useful and not too far out.

Gary LT

Edited by Gary LT

I remember that Ruggero made a really cool knife/awl eating set. It would be cool to do something like that perhaps. Did we already do a KITH that was only friction folders? I remember seeing some on one KITH, but there were other types of knives there. Pocket knives would be an interesting KITH if we haven't done it already. I have made some friction folders and I love them. I made a folder for myself September last year that I have used and abused (general use, concrete bags, gravel, everything that I needed to open at the time), and it is still holding up. With only 3 main parts, not much can go wrong except for the occasional tightening.

I'm down for something not necessarily knives. I know we have done spears/axes before, which I would like, but I do like the idea of culinary/eating sets too.

Friction folders scares me a bit. Never made one, so that might be a good pick.

i like the eating set/ culinary knife idea there is a lot of room historically for variation from Japanese kitchen cutlery/ sushi knives to Mongolian eating sets and on and on

My Kith plan is for everyone to run up and try to Kith Mike tyson without being killed.... hahahaha just kidding. I would be interested in seeing a series of historically accurate Trench knives or something similar.

I like the idea of an eating set quite a bit! The trench knives also sounds neat. I was thinking something usable so that it doesn't just sit on a shelf and collect spiders and dust. The idea of a chef's set of a chef/french/gyuto and a petty knife tickles my fancy. We would be using known materials, so far less chance for failure, but still with lots of potential.

Photos of the knife Chad had made are real but don't do the knife justice. In hand it's a beast, very well made with sheath to boot. Thank you Chad. Here in Georgia we have been dealing with maurading bands of viscous watermelons ready to attack at their moments notice. I plan to keep this knife at my side and lay waste to the next melon I see digress itself onto my property.

All in all, there were so many "take-aways" from this KITH which I took note of for future work. And I appreciate everyone's interpretation.

Gary LT

Hahaha well I am glad it will be put to good use!

I received the bowie from Dan Rice yesterday, and it is beautiful. He hit the look he was going for perfectly. His knife showed me quite a few places that I need to work on to better my own work. Which is exactly what I feel this Kith should do. Looking forward to the next one!

I have already taken Gabriel Paavola's knife into the woods today. I was hunting for chanterelle mushrooms with some friends, and we needed some small sticks to keep spider webs out of our faces. The knife swung through them beautifully, and we ended up getting about 8 lbs of mushrooms!

• Like 1

Beautiful!

I wish you could see the smile on my face!

Seems like "the Jinx" has brought you some luck and it now needs a proper name!

-Gabriel

Kitchen knife is up my alley.
Eating set would be more of a challenge but blacksmithing is worth while, it will teach everyone a lot.
I'm open to trench knives too.
Daggers are very hard for even seasoned smiths.
Getting them symmetrical on all sides and all plunges is very very very hard to do.
As is keeping them straight.

Beautiful!

I wish you could see the smile on my face!

Seems like "the Jinx" has brought you some luck and it now needs a proper name!

-Gabriel

A proper name? I think that "The Jinx" is a perfect name for it. I think luck works backwards for me, I don't dare pick up a heads-up coin, it always seems to bring me bad luck.

• Like 1

I just received mine from Caleb, he did a top notch job, and if I drop it in the woods it will be easy to spot...:)

I just got mine from Wesley as well, last night. My girlfriend saw me open the bubble wrap force-field ( :P ) and said, "That looks like some pirate-samurai knife. Thats pretty cool!"

Needless to say, Wesley did an amazing job.

I'm glad you like it! People's descriptions on how shipping companies handle packages made me nervous, I did not want to take any chances. Happy swashbuckling!

Just got mine from George, and man, is it cool! Unfortunately now my wife wants me to start making san mai with hamon...☺

If everyone is so excited for the next KITH, why don't we just do one for the next six months? set the deadline for New years eve. I know doing one over the second part of the year will be harder, due to the addition of holidays, but no one ever said we could only do one a year... Just a suggestion ;) I also like the Idea of an eating set. that'd be a really fun and challenging project!

Edited by James R.Fuller

If everyone is so excited for the next KITH, why don't we just do one for the next six months? set the deadline for New years eve. I know doing one over the second part of the year will be harder, due to the addition of holidays, but no one ever said we could only do one a year... Just a suggestion ;) I also like the Idea of an eating set. that'd be a really fun and challenging project!

I do like the idea of a "mini" project for the later part of this year, and the eating set fits that bill pretty well. Not to say making a set is trivial or anything, but I imagine it would be less work than a full fledged 8" bowie.

I got mine...

Prettier in person.

It was well worth the wait.

-Gabriel

• Like 1