Good starter anvil and forge?

Greetings,

I've been lurking for a couple weeks doing research and looking at putting together a small bladesmithing setup. I'm interested in starting on small knives, making things from railroad spikes, etc.

For an anvil, I'm looking at getting a 4x4 Stake Anvil from Old World Anvils, setting it in a 6x6 pressure treated post, and setting the post in a bucket with 80 lbs of concrete. Total cost should be around $150.

For a forge, I'm either looking at building a #10 can gas forge similar to a Zoeller Forge, or a Tim Lively style charcoal forge. I understand that a propane forge is less expensive to run, but the charcoal forge may be better for heat treating due to the larger heating area from a larger fire.

Any thoughts?

Stephen

Sounds like you have it planned out for the anvil! I personally haven't used a stake anvil, but they appaerntly work very well! As to the forge, if you put a pass-through door at the back of your forge, you could heat treat much longer blades than your forge would normally accomodate. I would go for a gasser unless you are going to make your own charcoal. For about $100 you could make a forge which will not need repairs for at least 8-10 years of normal occassional use.

How are you wanting to supply air to your Lively forge if that's the way that you want to go? If you want a hand cranked blower check Whitlox Homestead Forge. They sell both wood/charcoal burning forges and hand cranked blowers. If you get a blower from them get the Zolmax bower, you can also find it on Amazon. They also carry a cheaper model but from what I've read on the reviews the bearing don't hold up long. The $135 (on Amazon when I checked, has much better reviews.

Doug

Only reason I would give contradictory advice to what Timothy mentioned, despite it being sound advice, is perhaps you arent sold on this hobby? You can get a lively forge going for near nothing and buy a few bags of charcoal to test it out. You can always upgrade to a gasser later of course. Im just frugal so i give frugal advice :P Get going cheap, hammer steel, if you like it, upgrades never stop... :D

Only reason I would give contradictory advice to what Timothy mentioned, despite it being sound advice, is perhaps you arent sold on this hobby? You can get a lively forge going for near nothing and buy a few bags of charcoal to test it out. You can always upgrade to a gasser later of course. Im just frugal so i give frugal advice :P Get going cheap, hammer steel, if you like it, upgrades never stop... :D

I am doing this exact thing right now. Forging looks really cool in sped up YouTube videos, but when I try it for the first time I know it will be frustrating and difficult to learn alone. So I got a forge for 130, an anvil for 100 and a propane tank for 115. If I don't enjoy it I won't have a ton of cash invested. I'm hoping I do love it though.