Trying to identify two swords

Trying to Identify these two swords for a friend and I was hoping someone here could point me in a proper direction.

The first one I believe is from early 20th century

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20160715_105328.jpg

20160715_105411.jpg

20160715_105514.jpg

20160715_110117.jpg

I know the top one is a Knights of Columbus masonic sword. Pure decoration...

The other one is hard to say without pics of the blade.

If you can post more pics I am sure someone could help.

-Gabriel

Knights Templar, Scottish Rite Masons, not Knights of Columbus, the Catholic organization. You can tell by the iconography. I'd put it late 19th century. They vary a fair amount, but I have one too. It ought to have the owner's name etched on the blade or scabbard, sometimes even the home lodge number, which can really help pin down the date.

The other one, I have no idea. Need more pictures and dimensions.

• Like 1

I was thinking knights of columbus sword as well.. Thank you for the confirmation. I know there is a name on the sword I will look in to this one more

I posted a picture of the other blade next to the knight of columbus sword to show size..

Thank you all for the tremendous help in this.

20160715_105524.jpg

20160715_105552.jpg

The handle of the mystery sword reminds me of Nepal/Bhutan/Tibet, though the ones I found for reference we built with two thin metal plates, rather than all wood(?). African? Are there any marks on the blade?

Geoff

Alan,

I think you got it. KT sword, not Knights of Columbus. The first name on the sword is John....

Bill Hoffman

32nd SR Northern Jurisdiction

• Like 1

What Alan and Geoff said!

The second is such a mystery...

I was thinking Himalayan but the blade isn't quite right for it.

Very definitely looks like a Rose pattern sabre that has been mounted to serve as a machete/cutlass.

The curved sword could be a rehandled British blade done by Arabs or Pastun type peoples....just a guess as my references are in storage.

The curved sword could be a rehandled British blade done by Arabs or Pastun type peoples....just a guess as my references are in storage.

Possible, but the single narrow fuller and point shape scream early American pattern to me.

• 5 weeks later...

The saber looks very much "country made" to me.

My first impression of the second sword was "Nepal" and it very much has the same look as far as finish goes as many 19th century kukri I've seen made by village smiths, The resemblance of the blade to the cavalry sabers is remarkable but the dimensions seem off and it doesn't seem to have quite as much curvature. Perhaps a local smiths copy of a saber blade from somewhere in the Himalayan region? However, the hilt also could as easily be North African in origin (and my comments on the level of finish would apply there as well).

• Like 1

The curved sword looks North African to me. I need to take a look at my Richard F. Burton books. The shape of the groove and finish look like a village made sword from one of the North African countries. They had Arab influences obviously, so some of the blades were similarly shaped, but not likely as well made.

• Like 1