Suitable belt sander/grinder

Most belt sanders/grinders I see run a rather long narrow belt. I have the opportunity to pick this up locally for what I believe is a good price. It runs a 4" belt that I assume is approximately 48" long and has a 6" disc also. Now I'm a new hobbiest at best, so what would be the draw backs of using a belt this wide? Is there a certain rpm range I should be mindful as well?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by DBain

It's not the best tool for knife grinding. The side plates make it hard to get right up to the edge of the belt. Another issue are belts, not all of the 2 x 72 belts are available for the 6x48, and it's not variable speed.

OTOH. it looks like a nice solid unit, I made a number of my first knives on one much like it. They are good for wood and softer stuff and it might make a good start for a homebrew grinder.

If it's cheap enough, go with it. The Grizzly "knife makers grinder" is a fair machine for the price, you should also consider Coote.

Geoff

The sanders I have had like that all run much slower than the typical 2x72 grinder. I never measured the surface speed of the belts, but even the crappy the 1x30 I had from harbor freight would remove steel much faster than either of the 4x48s I have used.

However, if the price is good, it is still a very useful tool for many things related to knife making.

Geoff and Brian covered the main points. I used to have a 4x36 with a 6" disk, and it was fine for wood, which is nice since that's what it was designed for. Steel, not so much.

That unit looks much heavier-duty than mine was. The reason I no longer have it is that the bearings were not sealed. Grinding steel on a machine without sealed bearings is a bad idea because the grit and swarf gets into them and soon they no longer exist.