Sign in to follow this  
Pieter-Paul Derks

Man at arms Dandao

I always watch the YouTube series Man-At-arms, of which I'm sure most of you have heard by now, featuring the guys from Baltimore knife and sword.

Normally they only do video game and movie builds and because of that are not too suited for this forum.

However their latest video build is more historical, and totally awesome. B)

To celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Dandao, a Chinese two handed sword, they are building one using historical methods.

Including actually smelting the steel and doing silver inlays.

I am also always very impressed with the time frame these guys work in: I believe they build 6 swords in 8 days. :o

So I just thought the guys on this forum needed to see this:

• Like 2

That was a great build.

I actually enjoy all of the Man at Arms builds even though many of them are things I would never do myself. I like seeing all the individual crafts-people do what they do best. I really wanted to get to BKS for the hammer in this year, but life got in the way. I'm planning on it next year.

There have been a couple of other builds where they smelted, or re-smelted the steel for what they were making.

I believe Matt frequents this forum every now and then. They always do great work and I have to disagree Pieter, anything knife/sword related is suited for this board no matter how it was made. With all due respect of course! :) I really enjoyed this build as well. The smelting, the forging, and the craftmanship involved. Beautifully done.

On another note, the comments on youtube always tick me off since most are "wanting more" and not appreciating the craftsmanship that goes into the present and past builds.

Edited by Austin_Lyles