The cream of the crop

I havnt seen a post like this floating around so I hope this is a fresh fun topic.Assuming money is not in the equation at all, What is the best in slot for all commercially available knife making equipment equipment?

Anvil:

Power hammer:

Grinder

Welder

hydraulic press

Vice /post/bullet/whatever

anything else i left out? Mill? etc

I would think the best anvil a man can get would be a fully forged steel anvil

Anvil: Peddinghaus maybe? I always wanted a haybudden for some reason.

Power hammer: Sahinler50?

Grinder: TW90 weurtz

Welder: miller

Mcnabb's 50 ton press looks to be the best on the surface

i would love to get a 6" indian chief leg vice, but love my colombian 75# bench vice

my list was just a wish list.. lol Curious to see what others say that have actualy experience on any of this gear.

Money no object, you say?

Anvil: The big names are all pretty good, but I'd love a 500 lb Peter Wright or Mousehole. And a 150 Kg Refflinghaus south German style with the side shelf and upsetting block. And a 300 lb Fisher...

Power hammer: Nazel 3B. Since I don't have room for that, a Kuhn 100Kg would be nice as well. Of course, since money is no object I'd build a bigger shop and get both...

Grinder: The TW90 with a set of water cooled radius platens in 12, 24, and 36" radii and a small wheel attachment and at least two Bader space-savers with an assortment of contact wheels, all run off VFDs

Press: an Uncle Al side by side with a home-built 100 ton with a top cylinder and that nifty cycling mechanism Joshua posted, both of which with the motor and tank outside in a soundproofed closet.

Welder: Something big and TIG.

Vise: an 8" Fisher parallel leg vise, an 8" Columbian chipping vise, and an original Emmert patternmaker's vise.

Now then, what I've actually got:

Anvils: 100Kg Refflinghaus south German pattern with upsetting block and no side shelf and a 100 lb Columbian with no edges.

Power Hammer: 50 lb Star with dished out and misaligned dies.

Grinder: KMG first model with platen, 2, 4, and 6" wheels. 1hp three-speed with step pulleys.

Welder: Montgomery Ward (Miller) AC-only stick welder from about 1970

Press: none.

Vises: 4" no-name leg vise, 5" no-name leg vise not mounted yet, 6" Chinese bench vise, 3" Yost bench vise, 3" Chinese angle vise mounted to a piece of angle iron.

Lathes: 4" x 14" Lathemaster Chinese crap, 12" x 42" Craftsman 101/Atlas 618.

Drill press: 14" Craftsman ca. 1977, with 14 speed step pulleys on a jack shaft. Wish it had a rack and pinion table adjustment, but it was cheap. An assortment of drill press vises and accessories as well.

Bandsaws: 1980 Chinese knockoff of the Rigid 4" vertical/horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw, 14" Rikon woodworking bandsaw with a slightly bent top axle, just enough to make it ever-so-slightly wobbly.

I'm pretty well equipped now that I see it written down! 18 years of accumulating stuff on the cheap pays off. But there's never enough tools... :lol: or space to put them all. :(

I'd love a nice vertical mill and a surface grinder set up for 2x72 belts. And a bigger horizontal bandsaw with coolant pump. And a big Monarch lathe...and a building to put it all in, with a forging room, a grinding room, a machine tool room, a woodworking room, and a finishing room. And at least 100 acres to put it on. With a river. Nothing a few million bucks wouldn't take care of! B) But I'm more than pleased with what I have, I know I'm lucky. B)

I have a grizzly 2x72, 169# PW, a small bench top Skil drill press, lincoln 140 Mig welder. A colombian bench vice 50# i think. And thats it on my shop. Hope to be adding a press soon - or a power hammer if the right deal presents itself.

Alan you have a nice set up, but ive always drawn a blank as to what everyone uses their lathes for in their shop. i have no clue what I would even use it for?

I use the lathe for tomahawk bowls, pipes, toolmaking, and assorted other stuff like the occasional pommel, making Corby bolts, things like that. Open forge would be interesting considering all that stuff is crammed into an 18x18 foot garage with a massive coal forge chimney in the middle, along with still more crap I didn't mention that fills the rest of the space so there is a narrow walkway through it all...it's pretty tight for two people!

Anvil: 500lb Mousehole cutlers anvil, I have much bigger anvils and they are too big.

Power hammer: nicest I have used is a nazel. otherwise I love my twin sahinla50k's one set for drawing one flat. when its needed a big hammer is the biz.

Grinder. space saver X4 would be good

Welder. (really could care less,)a decent welder...

hydraulic press, nice recipricating one but when you are hammered up the press just gets used for punching holes.

Vice /post/bullet/whatever.. dont have a vice preference.

anything else i left out? Mill? etc dremmel is awsome, I underrated them for years.

If money is no object then why buy off the shelf?

As to hammer My 3B Nazel is very good, but a Massey is on my short list.

Ric

If money is no object then why buy off the shelf?

The very first time I ever used a power hammer, it was a 1500lb helve style custom made by a guy a couple of hours from me. It's kind of ruined me,,,

• Like 1

Powerhammer Nazel 3b or a Chambersburg

What I've got 50# homebuilt Champion style

I'm pretty well set for anvils (is that even possible to say?) 200# Fisher, 125 HB (my traveler) 30# Fisher (bench), 3, 260# 4140 6.5 x 5 post anvils.

Post vice, I've got 5 or 6 right now, 2 mounted

Press, home built 30 ton

Bandsaw, I've got a Carolina 10", and a HF 8" (rebuild project) and a 1950's era Walker Turner variable speed (needs guides).

Lathe 16" gear head Sebastian (1930's)

Surface grinder Abrasives Tool Inc 3b (to convert to belt)

M head FrankenBridgeport (Want an R8 or better mill)

HardCore Grinder (want at least one more grinder)

Lots of bits and things, swedge block, pexto plate and tools, that kind of stuff

Not too bad, I guess.

Still looking for the 100 acres and a river, hard to afford in my neck of the woods.

Anvil: As long as it is at least 3" wide, maybe 10" long and 12" high, any bit of hard or hardenable steel will do, as long as it has a flat surface. I've used plenty of anvils over the years and for bladesmithing I've found that what is really important is a good flat face, which is rare in old anvils. There's always been some rascal before you with an uncontrollable cross pein or arc welder. Or simply the wear tear of the years has left a nice dish, pockmarks, etc.

Power hammer: For forging blades speed is important, which usually means smaller. For damascus billets bigger is probably better. I've a 26kg air hammer, which is a bit light even for my meager purposes.

Grinder; Best you can afford. But also all manner of grinding, buffing, sharpening wheels and the spindles they fo on. a real rabbit hole that one!

Welder; Tig preferred, mig for production welding/ long welds, but for basic knife making arc will do.

hydraulic press; ??

Vice /post/bullet/whatever; A decent good sized machine vice will cover most of your needs.

anything else i left out? Mill? etc; A good drill. Some kind of bandsaw or chop saw for cutting bar. A metalworker for cutting plate into bar would be nice if I had the room and money. Forge, obviously. HT set up- I'd love salt pots and the rest. Plasma cutter. Grit blaster. Compressor for those last two.

Edited by Dan P.

I havnt seen a post like this floating around so I hope this is a fresh fun topic.Assuming money is not in the equation at all, What is the best in slot for all commercially available knife making equipment equipment?

Anvil:

Power hammer:

Grinder

Welder

hydraulic press

I would think the best anvil a man can get would be a fully forged steel anvil

Anvil: Peddinghaus maybe? I always wanted a haybudden for some reason.

Power hammer: Sahinler50?

Grinder: TW90 weurtz

Welder: miller

Mcnabb's 50 ton press looks to be the best on the surface

i would love to get a 6" indian chief leg vice, but love my colombian 75# bench vice

my list was just a wish list.. lol Curious to see what others say that have actualy experience on any of this gear.

lets see

Anvil 450LB haybud..and a big searobin, we currently have the haybud as well as 13 other anvils ranging from 125lb-308lb

Power hammer- Nazel 3b or 4B (currently have a 4B) and 2B.(50K saymak currently) or the equivalent Massy..

Grinder - three TW90's with all the attachments .and a couple of spacesavers .. curently have one KMG 2PH variable speed a 2HP BII bador a 2hp BIII bador and a 1.5HP variable speed Bador as well as a spacesaver and a 5hp homebuilt 3/132"

welder. - Miller sincrowave Tig, we currently have several millers two TIG's two MIG's and a couple of small inverter tigs for doing installs one lincon one ESAB.

Press- 75 ton H frame or Heavy C frame, with a large enough powerpack to make it move FAST!. currently we have a 27 ton ,,, that is a bit slow.

Vices... just more good vices , I never have enough vices in my shop, I would love a larger wilton for my bench to replace the 3" I have, as well as a good multi position. a couple of more post vices wouldn't hurt either.

we have two southbend lathes I would love a 12" or 14" leblond we have a gorton miller as well as a bridgeport clone, i would live to up grade to a real bridgeport. we have a small surface grinder i would love to get a larger one with power feeds, a brown and sharp wold be great.

all in all we are very well equipped but there is all ways something that could be better...

MP

Here's my personal list. This list is focused around currently commercially available, as in, you can pick up a phone and buy it today.

This is NOT a list of the BEST, for which I would throw in Nazel hammers and the like. While they're available if you're patient and look around enough, you cant just pick up the phone and have one on your shipping dock in a few weeks.

Anvil: Nimba Gladiator (450lb) http://www.nimbaanvils.com/gladiator.php In fact I think this is significantly MORE anvil than you will ever actually need, but having a nice immobile mass is nice to work on.

Power hammer: 75kg (165lb) Anyang http://www.anyangusa.net/specs.html

Grinder: TW-90 and Bader Space Saver. http://www.traviswuertz.com/?product=tw-90-knife-grinder & http://www.stephenbader.com/html/bader_floor_standing_grinders.html If you dont mind doing some mods, for the most stable indestructible grinder, I'd say get a KMG, then get the direct drive conversion kit from Matt Gregory and throw a 3hp motor with VFD on it, add a spare tooling arm slot, and you're GTG. http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3 This is what I have and I love it, it's fantastic, but it's certainly not 'off the shelf' as mine currently is.

Welder : Anything that works, good name brand, Lincoln or Miller or Hobart.

hydraulic press : Uncle Al's press. http://www.riversidemachine.net/ecommerce/hydraulic-press.html

Anvil: Any Peter Wright or Fisher 500# +

Power Hammer: Nazel anything. Sahinler if Nazel isnt found. Massey if it can ever be sourced in the US.

Press: So much to choose from. My dream press would be any of the 100+ ton presses with 4 posts.

Grinder: Since I already own a dream grinder, the other option would be a Bader Space Saver

Welder: Huge Miller

The very first time I ever used a power hammer, it was a 1500lb helve style custom made by a guy a couple of hours from me. It's kind of ruined me,,,

1500lbs?! How big was the anvil and how was it mounted? With the weight of a small car slamming up and down, well, that would be pretty hard to manage....

Collin,

I can't lay any claim to the validity of the 1500lb limit, but after working with it, I don't really doubt it. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5XTL3Ji954

I had never used a power hammer before, and managed to draw a RR spike out to about 3' long in one heat. It seemed like it only took about 60 seconds to draw it out, but it may have been much longer as time flies when you are having fun

Collin,

I can't lay any claim to the validity of the 1500lb limit, but after working with it, I don't really doubt it. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5XTL3Ji954

I had never used a power hammer before, and managed to draw a RR spike out to about 3' long in one heat. It seemed like it only took about 60 seconds to draw it out, but it may have been much longer as time flies when you are having fun

Good god man...

• 1 month later...

Anvil: Nimba Gladiator #450

Power hammer: Chambersburg/Ajax Model L #1500 power drop, Nazel 4B for the small stuff..

Grinder: 2x72 Wuertz TW-90 w/water cooled platens, a pair or two of Bader space savers.

Welder: Miller Synchrowave TIG and a Miller multi-process MIG

hydraulic press: I have a 6" bore hydraulic cylinder with a 2.5' stroke. It's gas powered and has a 2 stage spool (fast and squish). It needs a frame. This one should do 70 tons and be fast too.

Parallel jaw leg vise. I have a non-parallel jaw leg vise, so I want one that IS parallel.

How about an induction forge?

Vertical Mills: Bridgeport J-Head. I really want the one with the trochoidal milling head. Kearney & Trecker Vertical/Horizontal mill.

Since money's no object I'd have to go for a HAAS CNC mill, like a VF-5XT. ~$175k I think.

Lathes:

Currently I have a L&S 16"x46" engine lathe (6000lb monster), 11" grizzly manual lathe, various smaller lathes that I don't use for much because they're tiny.

I'd keep the Lodge & Shipley because once you have one, you never want anything else. I'd get a Monarch 10EE to put next to that. The chinese stuff I'd give away :)

Brown & Sharp Surface grinder.

I'm in the middle (near middle?) of building a rolling mill with 3" rolls, huge steel frame. I have a few holes to bore, but after that it's pretty much ready to roll.

A few more programmable electric HT/tempering ovens.