I'm not a safety Nazi, but I do believe that sharing stories about mishaps and close calls can be a good reminder for all of us. I had one tonight that had me realizing how I've been pushing my luck.

I was forge welding a billet. My length was where I wanted it, but I needed more width. I was going after it with 3lb cross peen to widen it up a bit, and missed with a blow that glanced off the far side of the billet. This shot the billet right at me, and it bounced off my thigh. It was only a moment of contact, and I had it welded to a handle so I got the hot steel back under control very quickly.

However, the steel was hot enough that even the momentary contact scorched the denim (Mistake #1) on my right thigh. The scarier part is that had it hit me 3" lower, it would have totally missed the shorts (Mistake #2) I was wearing and hit my skin.

It is hot here, and it gets really hot in the shed while I am forging so I have slipped into a bad habit of not wearing long pants.

I'm going to get/make myself a leather apron after this.

Ha, Geoff, I was thinking the same thing. I could be mooning the neighbors :)

JM, denim doesn't really provide much thermal protection from the flying scale ( or flux when I use it). At least it is a natural fiber though.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

You don't suppose that it was some kind of demonic retribution considering the number your Fitbit showed you? You might have opened up a portal in your forge!

Well i just got back from the Eye doctor, had a piece of rusty metal flake embedded in my cornea... She had to "polish the rust out" and put several varieties of eye drops and numbers and stuff... Needless to say... i need to buy a faceshield/respirator combo anyone have a good suggestion on something well made that functions well that i will actually wear. I hate cheap crap that is annoying to use

JM, denim doesn't really provide much thermal protection from the flying scale ( or flux when I use it). At least it is a natural fiber though.

Nothing really provides much thermal protection from steel at the heats we use. I've burned my legs through the leather of my boots on my motorcycle tailpipe. Denim (or other natural fiber) is much preferred over anything synthetic.

Never, and I mean never, wear anything synthetic in the shop.

• Like 1

Well i just got back from the Eye doctor, had a piece of rusty metal flake embedded in my cornea... She had to "polish the rust out" and put several varieties of eye drops and numbers and stuff... Needless to say... i need to buy a faceshield/respirator combo anyone have a good suggestion on something well made that functions well that i will actually wear. I hate cheap crap that is annoying to use

I had the very same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. I was shooting some dirty ammo from my Enfield (I didnt know it was dirty at the time), and some of the hot powder flew out of the breach and hit me in the face. One flake embedded itself in the center of my cornea. Unfortunately, I waited a week before I went into the Doc, and by that time my cornea had grown over it. I had to have out patient surgery where they cut it out of my eye. Lets just say that getting the anesthetic shot was interesting.

As for face shield respirator, I use a 3M 6700 Full respirator. Not the best for beards, but I coat the seal with vasoline and that helps a lot.

Edited by Wes Detrick

Several years ago I took a piece of bench wire brush in my eye (I had my glasses on, finished, took them off, "oh look, I missed a spot...")

My favorite part of the doctor visit was having him come at me with a Foredom tool looking thing to get rid of the "rust ring".

When we survive, we are supposed to learn.

As for face shield respirator, I use a 3M 6700 Full respirator. Not the best for beards, but I coat the seal with vasoline and that helps a lot.

Wes, just get some goggles, pull the beard up between your eyes, then use the beard for a respirator. Cheap, simple, renewable.

Edited by Don Abbott

Wes, just get some goggles, pull the beard up between your eyes, then use the beard for a respirator. Cheap, simple, renewable.

HA! Genius Don. It already works pretty well has a food storage system; why not a filtration system?!