Twisted Little Paring Knife

James Higson

Dearest Brethren,

This is my most recent offering. The fit and finish suffered a little due to this being my first time having an etched spine. I used Dave's technique of supergluing the scales on and sanding it, then breaking them off and etching. Does anyone have any idea how to stop the epoxy from spilling out when you then do the final assembly?

Specs:

Blade - 3.5'' two bar twisted EN42J and 15N20

Handle - Buffalo horn and Bubinga with copper pins

Cheers!

James

Paring Knife R (800x489).jpg

Paring Knife L (800x399).jpg

Paring Knife Spine (533x800).jpg

Aaaaaah, thats a neat idea :D Is acetone what we over here call white spirit?

No, that is "mineral spirits" on this side of the pond (according to Wikipedia). Acetone is (CH3)2CO, and is often found as a nail-polish remover (though many of those now are not acetone). For better quality and quantity check your local hardware store, possibly in or near the paint section (next to the white spirit probably).

What Jerrod said. I think is is usually referred to as acetone in the UK, but it may have an extra "u" or something the spelling ;)

Plain old household vinegar also works pretty well as a solvent for uncured epoxy. It is also a lot better for you. I think the acetone works a lot better though.

-Brian

a good trick Jim Crowell told me, I use this one on just about every knife now. use paste wax to clean up excess epoxy. glue up as normal then after everything is clamped take a generous dab of past wax (I like jonhsons but any of them seem to work ) and rub it every when there is epoxy. rub it all over then just whip it all off. if you miss any it general wont stick or set up fully especially if you pre wax areas that you don want the epoxy to stick. (ie around the clamps)

So I've done a bit of an unorthodoxed method for etching the tang. I've used painters tape over the scales and painted the ferric on in sections. It took a little longer only because I couldn't submerge the while piece. It worked pretty good, just had to be careful where it all went.

a good trick Jim Crowell told me, I use this one on just about every knife now. use paste wax to clean up excess epoxy. glue up as normal then after everything is clamped take a generous dab of past wax (I like jonhsons but any of them seem to work ) and rub it every when there is epoxy. rub it all over then just whip it all off. if you miss any it general wont stick or set up fully especially if you pre wax areas that you don want the epoxy to stick. (ie around the clamps)

Haha, like waxing ones hair :) I like it

Edited by James Higson