Hey, folks.

This knife was a real pleasant work to do. Although unexpected, it came out better than I could have imagined.
About the blade, it was handforged with a wrought iron spine and a bloom steel edge. The bloom was made by accident when I was trying to produce some shear steel with a wrought iron bar. The iron box in witch the wrought iron was simply melted down and so did the wrought, and then it all became a strange looking bloom with just a little slag from the refractory mantle that melted too. Then I refined it and found a very good amount of carbon in it. After that I covered it in clay and quenched in brine. You can see the hardened line quite well.
The handle is made of a karelian birch burl. The pin holding the ring holder is iron, the holder is nickel silver and the ring itself is brass. The tang was glued to the handle using a pine resin based glue.
The sheath was the most laborious part of it all. It is made out of vegetable tanned cow's leather, about 2mm thick. Then it was tooled with Borre styles mottifs on the front and geometric patterns on the back. The fittings are made from nickel silver, with brass rings and iron rivets to add some contrast.

This is by far the best knife I made till now and I'm kind of proud of it and I hope you like it as well. Any advices and critics will be very welcome.
Overall: 25,5cm (including the holder, without the ring)
Blade length: 13,7cm
Blade width: 2,0cm at the widest part
Blade thickness: 0,5cm

IMG_20160804_125702051.jpg

IMG_20160804_125729364.jpg

IMG_20160804_125814804.jpg

IMG_20160804_125827313.jpg

IMG_20160804_125859926.jpg

IMG_20160804_125922878.jpg

IMG_20160804_125942962.jpg

IMG_20160804_125955980.jpg

IMG_20160804_130431086.jpg

VERY nice! A most excellent job with that style.

That is a fantastic job on the sheath. The knife is quite nice too.

Doug

Fantastic, I think I need to put this on my project wish list.

Well done man!

I missed this post, so I´m a bit late.

But nevertheless great work on that knife and especially on your leatherworks. That aged finish on the sheath is awsome.

I'm in awe!

I love the row style of all of it! The blade is really historical looking, the sheath is ... just stunnig! What I admire is how you captured the appeariance. It looks like it was used by great great gradnfather and had been passed through generation to generation. I can imagine such artifacts were still common in late Viking Age, as a heritage of antient ancestors.

Great Work!

I could learn from you!

Respect!

Thank you very much, guys!

I usually like to make the fittings on the sheaths this way because I like this aesthetics of a worn object. Like Kris said, as if it was passed down. I really don't like those shiny mirror looks in my work, although I really admire those who can make them without look like if it was "plastic".

But it is really good to know that you liked it. To see other makers pointing out good (and even bad) things on my work is always a pleasure, so i can know which way I should or shouldn't god next time.

that is a great combination. The sheath is excellent, and the knife also rocks. I like them both a great deal. good work, for sure.

Fantastic! Love that wrought spine and accidental "bloom" steel edge combination! Perfect wood for the handle too