Welcome. Best tip I can give: don't trust the search function built into the forum; it isn't that great. This forum has a ton of information, and the best way to find it is with a Google site search.

site:bladesmithsforum.com power hammer build

First, get a copy of this https://www.amazon.com/Pounding-out-profits-development-crank-actuated/dp/0965765202, that will give you lots of ideas. Someone (not me, I like having a head, but someone) needs to build a gunpowder or diesel powered hammer. That would be cool!

Hmr062.jpg

I built this one in 2000, and it's still running with almost no mods.

I think a Rusty/Crusty style hammer is what I would build if I were going to do it again, not that I don't love what I have, just for simplicity.

Over build everything, DG, who shows up early in the thread posted above, had a catastrophic failure of his hammer, it put him out of work for a year.

Keep us posted,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

First, get a copy of this https://www.amazon.com/Pounding-out-profits-development-crank-actuated/dp/0965765202, that will give you lots of ideas. Someone (not me, I like having a head, but someone) needs to build a gunpowder or diesel powered hammer. That would be cool!

attachicon.gifHmr062.jpg

I built this one in 2000, and it's still running with almost no mods.

I think a Rusty/Crusty style hammer is what I would build if I were going to do it again, not that I don't love what I have, just for simplicity.

Over build everything, DG, who shows up early in the thread posted above, had a catastrophic failure of his hammer, it put him out of work for a year.

Keep us posted,

Geoff

Geoff,

it didn't put me out of work - it gave me a third degree burn on covering about half of the length of my inner arm... that was a nasty nuissance and a bitch to keep clean... and I discovered I'm better at doing debridement than I would have expected ;)...

the problem was anvil base had worked itself loose (only held in by bolts, on welded on brackets... they didn't take the constant beating well, two had loosened up mildly, and one had a crack that I had failed to register when I did some maintenance...

So working a bigger billet held with tongs, the anvil shifted and it kind of grabbed the steel and spit it back at high velocity towards my arm (wearing a T-Shirt).... the rest you can imagine, a 2x4x5" billet of 1200°C steel getting thrown at your arm at speed...

The hammer wasn't strong enough for what I wanted to do anyhow - so rather then spend time to repair and reinforce it, I had decided to junk it and build a 40t Forging Press - that I have been using ever since.

The hammer you have built looks excellent though.

And frankly if I'd build another power hammer I either go pneumatic or with a design such as the one you have pictured ...

I believe on a self-built mechanical powerhammer it is one of the best designs (little-giant style) I've seen.

Just one word of caution: get a cover for the front.... there's a reason the cages are around most of such commercially made hammers...