Christopher Price

Screw Cancer

Some of you know my wife has been struggling since Breast Cancer came into her life in 2012. A few months ago it started roaring back as stage 4, in her bones and starting to proliferate in her body. Last weekend she got really dehydrated and crashed with sepsis and acute kidney failure, and we spent the entire week in the hospital nursing her back to health. Through that episode, we had to confront the reality that some time soon, her body is just not going to endure the stress her disease is putting on her. She has an advanced directive, which we did not invoke because we really didn't understand what was going on and her oncologist just 2 weeks prior had been talking about how we'd address her issues over the next year, not the next few weeks. Took us by surprise.

Long story short, now that her kidneys bounced back and the infection is gone (btw, Alexandria Hospital in northern Virginia is excellent) she has decided to stop treating her cancer. To continue would have meant a feeding tube, as she's not taking much food anymore, and we've realized this is very normal for patients in the later stages of cancer and forced artificial nutrition often causes more problems than it solves for a chronic case like this, where the patient is not expected to recover and get back to normal eating. We'll be engaging hospice services soon so we have access to their resources, medical equipment for the home, and ultimately inpatient care near the end. One of the hardest things about this, is nobody can tell us how fast this will happen. We might have a week or two, we might have a couple months, depending on so many interconnected issues with her health.

I've cried so much this week the backs of my eyeballs hurt, and it's hard to put into print the anguish my heart is filled with to be staring down the end of 25 years with the love of my life. I already know many of you will wish us well, pray for us, and wonder what can be done. If you pray, pray for our peace so that our suffering is minimized. There's really not much anyone can do for our family that isn't already being taken care of by our family and local friends. I will likely go on a forging rampage as a form of therapy afterwards, but I don't think I'll make Ashokan this year, as much as I wanted to go and meet people... I suspect I'll be otherwise occupied here. I still have two teenage daughters at home and need to be a good father for them. For my part, just knowing I have supportive friends out there means a lot, and when we meet, a solid hug and your understanding of my sadness is the balm that helps my hurt.

Screw cancer with a rusty old SAN-MAI Ginsu wrapped with barbed-wire and forged to Fluffy's standards.

• Like 1

Praying

I lost my wife to cancer (colon, not that it matters) in 1999, after a two year fight. I know just what you're going through and you have all my best wishes and thoughts. I'd like to be able to say that the pain goes away, but it doesn't, you just get better at dealing with it. Try to get some rest, do the best you can for your love, try not to be too hard on yourself, say what you need to say now, while you can.

Gotta go cry now,

Geoff

I am sorry for what this disease has done to your family. I am sending you all of my thoughts and prayers.

Edited by Nick Woo

I can't describe how sorry I am for you and your family. Just take it one day at a time. Went through something similar when my Mom had ALS. It hurts when there's really nothing you can do to change things.

Doug

I buried my wife on January 11, of this year. She was my whole world. I wish there were some words that could ease your pain. Make the most of every moment.

Wow, this hits like a ton of bricks. I can't even imagine what you must be going through, the feeling that you would do literally anything to help her, but it simply isn't in your control. I hope for you and for your kids that you are all able to cope with the pain.

All the best, I'm praying for you man.

A solid hug coming your way brother Chris.....all the way from the west coast of Canada

I doubt we will ever meet my friend but I feel your pain and it hurts , I've been there and I most definately understand your sadness.....

I will pray for you, your wife and your family sir.......

The thought of losing my wife is beyond the pale, so I can only imagine what you are going through. I'm really sorry. You, your amazing wife, and your family will be in my thoughts.

I'm very sorry for you. I just wish I didn't understand so much of what you are going through, and have yet to pass through. I'm not very religious but be assured my thoughts are with you, and PM me any time you want to just vent.

Dude. You know I know, and I know you know. We're here for you.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to meeting you at Ashokan.

For what it's worth... I am with you (thoughts and prayers).

-Gabriel

Chris you are one of the nicest persons I know. It saddens me to read this still, and I cannot even begin to form a proper response. I am at a loss of words and my heart hangs heavy. All I know to say is stay strong, and cherish every second of the day.

Thank you for sharing this this with all of us here. Prayers will be made in behalf of you and family. We all really do care and you sir are not alone in this.

Gary LT

yes, we are here for you. Anything that can help, let me or us know. Peace be with you and your beloved.

Will be thinking about you and your family, Christopher. Cancer has touched a lot of us, my family included.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's hardship. Take care, and screw cancer...hard.

Have seen this with a few family members and it never gets less troubling.

Will pray for relief and peace.

Cancer has touched my life too many times, have lost to many friends and family to it!! My prayers will be for your wife, you and your family!!

Chris, I am saddened by the news, but happy to hear you are supported by family and friends at home.

Whatever I say will seem inadequate, but I hope that knowing I care helps.

"Screw Cancer" does not seem adequate somehow, Cancer Sucks