Dog head hammers

Peter Bui

Not sure if Sam Salvati still does or not, There are a couple other folks, I can recommend Brent Bailey in Ca, I have a couple of his hammers and then there are various sized ones from Japan Woodworker you have to look up Blacksmith hammers there. Those are the few i know and there are more if you look. Oh also look up gs tongs I met him a few times while he still lived in Wa.

Edited by WmHorus

just use common sense.......dude your boned

Already got a hammer from Glen from GS tongs...

Yeah I tried contacting Sam but not answer....yeah I've emailed Brent but the postage to Australia is expensive 60USD

I'm looking for a big hammer that can move steel....so far I've only got a ball pein,diamond rounding hammer and a dog head.....

you can move alot of material with a 3lb hammer, you could just get a small handled sledge in the 5 lb range if that might work for ya, and cheaper if you can find it there, could reshape the other side into a cross...

just use common sense.......dude your boned

Dancin' Frog Forge - I had him make me one (Raymond, I think). Actually, I had him make me two. They are great. I have one of Sam's also. Sam's is lighter than the other two (2.3lb for Slammin Sam's, then 3lb and 4lb for the two from Dancing frog forge).

Dancingfrogforge.com

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I think Glen from GS tongs will make you any size you want! That is unless you are not fond of his?

I have one and it is fantastic!

The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art.

They forge their creativity,closer to the heart.

Shipping is the only issue or I'd make you one.
I've made hammers with Sam and could manage it.
You'd need to be specific on the size.
I will say that its not the size of the hammer that moves material its the strike and handle length.
Sam's teacher forges with a 1.5# or something like that but the handle is at least the length of his forearm and he uses the whole thing to generate huge amounts of force and moves a ton of material with it.

Just an update....emailed Glen he said he won't make anything bigger then 3lbs...

I will happily pay for shipping to Australia from the US of A!

I don't like the quality of the hammers in Australia.

Hey JJ Simon do you have any pics?

I was thinking of something with a long handle like a sledgehammer.

If you wanted a long handle it would be better to just make the head and then ship that.

You could put the handle on yourself.

Shipping a long handle would be a PITA.

While shipping the head would be no problem.

This is the only pic I have of a hammer head I made.

Obviously not finished, just punched.

hammer head.jpg

• Like 1

JJ's made me one that is almost two pounds. One of my favorite hammers by a long shot.

JJ, I've promised you some pictures of mine in my shop, I've not forgotten that.

• Like 1

Allow the voice of tendonitis to tell you, do not get more hammer than you can easily swing one-handed for a long time. Dogheads do have a different dynamic and tend to hurt you less, but still, a too-heavy hammer WILL hurt you in a long-term as in not working for a year kind of way.

• Like 1

A 6-8 pound head is huge.
It will be long no matter what or have a giant face.
with a 2" face you're looking at at least an 8-9" hammer.
That's just too long frankly.
The thing about these hammers is that the the longer the head the more possibility of it torqueing on the strike.
The ones I've made and the ones I've used from other makers are the easiest to use are 4-5" long with 1.5" faces.
They never weigh more than 4 pounds and that is huge.
like I said I'm willing to make it but I think its gonna be hard to use.
Moving metal is much more about technique than hammer weight.

I use a normal sledge that you get from the hardware stores for striking but I feel that the handle is too long??

I've seen videos of Alec Steele using a "sledgehammer" and the handle looks considerably shorter.

So I thought I might as well try something different lol

By striker, JJ means a second person that is swinging the hammer, while the other guides the steel, directs the hammer blows and swings a smaller hammer sometimes. When being a striker, I have used an 8 lbs two handed sledge with a 2 foot handle (I am guestimating on that).

My apologies if you know this, but it seemed for a moment if you and JJ were talking about different things.

• Like 1

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

I use a normal sledge that you get from the hardware stores for striking but I feel that the handle is too long??

I've seen videos of Alec Steele using a "sledgehammer" and the handle looks considerably shorter.

So I thought I might as well try something different lol

Can you post a link to the video of Alec using a sledgehammer. I'm interested in the size of the hammer he is using.