I have been looking for an alternative to foil wrapping during heat treating. I saw an post on another forum about a product called Turco. Has any one had any experience with using it? Or does any one know what other products out there that will do the same thing?

Thanks for the help

Since nobody else has answered I guess nobody has used the actual Turco brand antiscale compound. I have some stay-brite antiscale I got from Kayne and son a few years back that might be similar, and Brownell's sells another kind. I'm guessing they're all about the same, since they all say not to heat above 1650 degrees. They mean that, too! It works fairly well below that temperature, but if you overheat it it eats into the surface and won't come off without grinding out the pits. What I like about it is you can make a paste with alcohol and paint it on the steel in a thin even layer. The directions say you can just sprinkle it on hot steel, but I don't find that to be nearly as even an application method.

So, as long as the steel you're working with is a simple alloy it's good to have around. It will not work for stuff that has to be heated beyond around 1650.

Thank you for that answer. That tells me exactly what I needed to know. The steel I was hoping it was good for HTs at a much much higher temp than that stuff with work at. Guess its back to the SS foil, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same experience as Alan with regards to the Brownell's stuff. If you get it to around 1650 it starts pitting the steel and becomes a nuisance. Plus it doesn't dissolve in water hence the alcohol. I don't like it.

I use ATP-641 from ATP. I have not had it cause problems during heat treat. Paints on easy, water based, non-toxic, no fumes, washes off easily. It usually just flakes off in the quench and falls to the bottom.

http://www.advancedtechnicalprod.com/high-temperature-protective-coatings.html

It definitely prevents oxidation, probably prevents carbon migration too, since it's made to protect tool steels during heat treating. Perfect!

When I'm going for a hamon, I paint this on first to prevent scaling, increase surface area. It dries fast and doesn't shrink or bubble. You can paint clay or furnace cement (hehe) right over it.

On my new pargon kiln that should be in a few weeks I ordered the gas injector option, i can flood the interior with argon or nitrogen and not need to worry about foil. the option was around $250, and i know they sell a retro fit kit.

MP