Wes Detrick

The Twins ...not identical but you know, close. Or something.

As the title implied, these knives were born at the same time and came from the same design. I must confess, they are stock removal, but please be nice to me; I promise the next ones are forged. Stock removal knives are faster though (or fast for me which isn't really fast), and I had two commissions that needed to be made. So here they are.

Steel: 1075, differentially hardened and etched. The pale knife's hamon is much easier to see in person. It's just a mild etch.

Wood: Twin 1 is Cocobolo and Twin 2 is Stabilized Buckeye Burl. The lanyard beads for each are made from the same wood as the handle.

OAL: 9.25" (23.5 cm)

Blade Length: 4.5" (11.4 cm)

Hope you like.

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

• Like 8

Very nice Wes. I really like those two.

I for one do not turn my nose up at stock removal. Heck, I have some friends that only do stock removal and I still do stock removal for any folder, or SS blade. (because, you know, why take a perfectly good piece of CM154 or 440C and forge it? That stuff is expensive enough already without loosing some of it in the fire!)

I love those sheaths!! It's interesting how much the process effects the end result. The knives are undoubtedly your style, but they're a bit different than your usual work. Great job man!

Love them both. Don't apologize for the method you used to make them, nothing wrong with stock removal. What counts is the end result and yours are beautiful.

Nice fit and finish all the way around!

I don't buy into the whole stock removal / forge debate. At some point all knives become a stock removal project. (Sooner than later for me with my forging skills)

Very elegant knives! I dare to call them a jewellery, but I don't dare to doubt they are fully functional :) . Really nice work Wes!

Man, those are just clean and nice.
Very very sharp both visually and I assume physically. Hehe.

As the title implied, these knives were born at the same time and came from the same design. I must confess, they are stock removal, but please be nice to me; I promise the next ones are forged. Stock removal knives are faster though (or fast for me which isn't really fast), and I had two commissions that needed to be made. So here they are.

Steel: 1075, differentially hardened and etched. The pale knife's hamon is much easier to see in person. It's just a mild etch.

Wood: Twin 1 is Cocobolo and Twin 2 is Stabilized Buckeye Burl. The lanyard beads for each are made from the same wood as the handle.

OAL: 9.25" (23.5 cm)

Blade Length: 4.5" (11.4 cm)

Hope you like.

attachicon.gifIMG_1043.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0998.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1011.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1017.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1036.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0986.jpg

Wes never apologize for work like that! Not to kick off the whole debate about forged or stock removal which is better, etc................Most forgers cannot forge a finished knife and end up doing some stock removal!!! I have seen a few fully forged knives and to those who can do it my hat is off to you! 35.gif

I guess what I am trying to say stock removal is an art in itself! So don't apologize man, those twins are beautiful as well as the sheaths!! punk.gif Rock on brother!!!

• Like 1

Very very nice work

Liked for the title, then I saw the knives. B)

Those are awesome little knives! I love the balance they have, and those lanyard beads really tie it all together. Fantastic work as always Wes!

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all of the kind words. The stuff I said about stock removal was more or less tongue in cheek, but I am glad that everyone doesn't care anyhow :)

I love this forum.

Very nice and clean work. Impressive. :)

Edit: Belt loop?

Edited by Alveprins

Man, Wes! That design is just sexy. Has a hint of a fighter hilt with a traditional drop point blade.

Gotta love that design. Classic and functional. Really like the grain in the cocobolo on knife #1. Both look like a pleasure to use.

Dave

I've been admiring these as you've made them on IG, Wes. They both turned out beautifully, as I knew they would. And the sheaths are so cool!

Again, thank you everyone. I do appreciate the wonderful comments and that everyone likes them as much as they do. I do have to say that I enjoy the design of them quite a bit (which is odd since I am my own worst critic). But thank you :)

Edit: Belt loop?

Yep, both have belt loops that are secured with a rivet.

• Like 1

Beautiful knives. Such precise work; blades, handles, & sheaths all blending perfectly together. Excellent work!

I like ´em a lot. The clean and accurate look of them harmonizes really nice with the etched blade.

Well done!

Wes! You already know what I think of these, they're both beautiful and look like they would be a blast to use! They're both soooo clean, I love it!

The design is very flowing and I especially like the placing of the lanyard hole, it looks very natural which I do not think most lanyard holes end up achieving. I love the warmth of color on the cocobolo knife, I think that is my favorite of the two twins. Keep up the awesome work man! :)

Thank you Thomas and Jason! I appreciate the compliments!

Wes! You already know what I think of these, they're both beautiful and look like they would be a blast to use! They're both soooo clean, I love it!

The design is very flowing and I especially like the placing of the lanyard hole, it looks very natural which I do not think most lanyard holes end up achieving. I love the warmth of color on the cocobolo knife, I think that is my favorite of the two twins. Keep up the awesome work man! :)

Thanks Emiliano, I do appreciate the compliments :) I hope the recipients enjoy them and they are a joy to use. I guess more than anything, that is what I want; then things I make to be enjoyed.

You know man, I am always weird about putting lanyard holes in just for the very reasons that you talk about it. I am glad that I managed to make them not suck on these two knives :D

good style, nice lines and controlled, well-placed hamon!