Hey guys I'm back and I'm wondering how I should build my new coal forge. The one I currently have is a fire extinguisher that I cut in half and attached a shop vac to the bottom. It works but I can only heat blades two to three inches long. So I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Charcoal or mineral coal? They prefer different setups, but whichever one you use a shop vac is WAY too much air. My Centaur coal firepot is about 8x10 x 4" deep, bottom blown, and can heat about six to eight inches at a time to forging heat, around four inches for welding heat. That's fine, since that's about all you can forge in one heat anyway.

its mineral coal. (I was lucky to find a deposit in the cliffs near my house!) and the shop vac is a 2.5 hp 1 gallon type with a flow control made from the fire extinguishers leaver. Mine is also bottom blown. I'll post some pics soon.

Edited by AndrewJohnKarow

Even the little shop vacs are way too much air, which with coal will give a very small very hot fire. And I hope your free coal is good! Not all coal is equal, which is why metallurgical coal sells for nearly $200/ton and bad stove coal sells for around $75/ton. If it's fairly hard and shiny with no yellow or greenish spots or inclusions, and it cokes up rather than just turning to ash, it may be decent.

then its great coal it doesn't create much ash at all it just burns away

Here is a decent video on starting a coal fire:

Notice how gentle the blast is after it cokes out and is ready for forging.

Good coal = cokes well, hot, low ash, low clinker

Bad coal = won't coke well, low heat, lots of ash, clinkers that would choke a horse

On a 1 to 10 scale, I've used 1 (free from the church basement) to 10 (Blacksmith Depot bituminous).

I takes a little experience and experimentation to know the difference.