Carpel tunnel?

Hey all! Thought I'd throw this in here and see what you thought.

Essentially, my palm and fingers (right hand, dominant), all the way to the tips, tingle and feel like a electric shocks are going through them when I extend my arm and bend my palm upwards. Starting at the wrist going to my finger tips, only on the surface though. It only shows up with extended use of my hand as this semesters drawing class seems to be agitating it.

I've had some decent injuries before (fireworks, cuts, etc) but figured this might be carpel tunnel? If so, is a doctor in order or can I work on it at home with PT?

might be a pinched Median nerve , I have the same thing but mine stems from jiu jitsu training.....

The most common place for the median nerve to become pinched is in the carpal tunnel, a narrow passage in the wrist where the median nerve travels along several tendons to the fingers. If the tendons become inflamed, the swelling in the narrow tunnel can lead to a pinched nerve......resulting in sharp unexpected pain......but not always sometimes just a nagging numbness .....

mine comes and goes...

The median nerve can also be pinched in a location somewhere in the arm, but this usually causes numbness or weakness in the arm or wrist as well as the hand and thumb.......

I was having problems about 5 years back with shooting pains through my forearm...

then I started using the Hofi method of ergonomic hammering... 5 years later no problems.

Another thing is I take breaks to soak my forearms in a tub of ice water for about 10-15 seconds in between heats. It helps me keep cool on hot humid days so I can forge for 4-6 hours and feel fresh when my day is done.

I also found when I use hammers with thick handles my hands would be wrecked for the night. So I made them a little smaller and my hands are doing much better.

Hope this helps...

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

Search online for mobility drills that target your forearms and wrists, and start your day working with your tissue. A good baseline is to have proper range of motion and appropriate muscle strength at different muscle lengths. Acupuncture can also help with carpel tunnel, look for one who will ask you to come in two-three times your first week. A good chiropractor can asses if your carpels are properly aligned, as well as your radius and ulnar orientation. Another thing to examine, if it truly is carpel tunnel, is your shoulders. Start thinking about the entire system instead of just the very end.

Mpikula LMT.

What surprised me is if there a small damage to the nerve system (what ever cause) it can take up to 1 year to recuperate. Try massaging nerve points for 5 min if you feel discomfort.

I have had similar issues and it is almost always muscle strain. I've had times when my forearm muscles contract, my hand curls up like a claw, and I have to force it back open and stretch everything out again. Spinning rifles in color guard and playing drums did it to me- excessive use of forearm muscles. I've had a time or two when swinging the hammer brought back similar feelings and I have to stop and stretch everything out. Keep stretching regularly- it will help.

Everyone has had some decent advice so far. All of it good.

But some things to remember:

1. It's a chronic injury, it will take time to heal. During this time you must respect it or it can persist or get worse

2. It is essentially nerve impingement (pinching) at either the wrist or the elbow. This may involve not only the median nerve, but all nerves passing through these points. Both can produce similar symptoms (I.E. an impingement at the elbow can be felt at the wrist or fingers, and an impingement at the wrist can be felt towards the elbow)

3. Stretch the flexors (gripping muscles), strengthen the extensors (muscles used to open your hand, extend the wrist, and straighten the elbow.

4. An offloading brace can help, but it doesn't fix anything. Just helps with symptom relief.

5. Now the hardest part and sometimes nearly impossible. If you can manage this you can end of recovering quicker. Don't do anything that aggravates the symptoms!. If you need to find alternate methods to do something, I urge you to do it.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Good luck and take care

-Tim

• Like 1