• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
nprovos

Ideal Pattern Variation with Depth in a Twisted Rod

Many of you may know the illustration by Ypey that shows how patterns develop in a twisted rod when slowly removing layers. For years, I have been wondering how to simulate these patterns on a computer. Yesterday, I finally had an insight and was able to produce this in just a few minutes. Here is one picture, I will probably turn this into an illustrative video:

PatternDevelopment.jpg

Let me know what you think.

This has been one of my interests for quite some time.

I would love to hear about your process and the software used.

I was trying to upload an image but is not working. I'll try later using a smaller file.

Grinding away.

grinding-away.gif

It is supposed to be an animated GIF but obviously I couldn't make it work here.

Edited by Jesus Hernandez

Here is my attempt at visualizing the gradual removal of steel:

I am using SideFX's Houdini for this.

• Like 1

That's really awesome! Note if only someone (one of us :P) created a program that would create a 3D rendering of what the different layers would look like in any layer count with as many permutations as wanted (twisting, folding, cutting, stacking, rotating, crushing, etc.)

As mentioned above, I am using SideFX's Houdini. It's a software often used for visual effects. The apprentice version is free.