Kenneth Mauldin

Grizzly knife grinder

Thinking about getting a grizzly knife grinder 2x72.

Read a mix of reviews but it is in my price range.

Would like to hear current owners advice,opinions,experiences,and so on.

It works OK. Not a great tool but, better than nothing. I believe to start you buy the best you can afford with the idea that if you get serious about the craft then save to buy the best based on your needs.

I bought a Phere entry level machine to start with. It has served me well. I'm now looking at an Outlaw II complete package. I've made several hundred knives on my first grinder and it's still going.

Now if your serious, then save your money and buy a grinder that will last you. Spend once and never look back...

Edited by GBrackett

Thank you for joining in,right now,my skill.level doesn't justify a 1k+ grinder.Still very new, with alot to learn.My budget is $600-$500.If I had a welding machine,I would just build my own.

I got my grizzly several months back, it was on sale for 450+ shipping and taxes it was just under 580 i think. I dont like the tool rest, and the motor housing causes some clearance problems. But overall its a good solid machine. Ive just taken my tool rest down semi-permanently and do most everything free hand. Also i purchased a 100# pull magnet and use it as a hand hold to skirt the motor housing issue. I wish i had variable speed, and a better tool rest but its pumped out a lot of blades already. Paid for itself quickly. id recommend it if youre looking for bang for your buck. Obviously there are better choices but that involves saving up 2000-3500$ cash :o

also, ive seen them for sale on craigslist for 350-400$ range used... even better if youre in driving distance. I Purchased my grinder first, then traded a knife and 100$ cash for my 140 mig welder :P

• Like 1

There are No Weld Grinder plans out there too. I went with the $1K grinder option as I wanted VS. While I only got a 1 hp unit it was well worth the additional cost.

As I stated before buy the best you can afford and after you have made a bunch find the better one that will fit your needs.

• Like 1

Garbriel,I have been looking for a used one! Not much success tho, if you see one let a brother know.How it's the platent?I read alot of people replaced then, what is your experience

There are No Weld Grinder plans out there too. I went with the $1K grinder option as I wanted VS. While I only got a 1 hp unit it was well worth the additional cost.

As I stated before buy the best you can afford and after you have made a bunch find the better one that will fit your needs.

In future I'll buy a better one for sure.Right now my life schedule its very chaotic, don't even have a shop, just a Corner in my moms pole barn.I live in 2 different states,as me and my wife are building a home.

Normally I would agree to just save up, get a good grinder, just not able to atm.While I have my wife's agreeable mindset on buying a hobby grinder,I gotta jump bro!

You could go with that Craftsman 2x42 machine for $150. Glue a ceramic tile on the platen, and get the right belts, it will grind fine.

Check YouTube for modifications and other folks that have used a Craftsman's unit. They work. You can even convert them to a 2x72.

Get the grizzly. Great machines. I saved a lot for a kmg as my first grinder, but could have been earning money on the grizzly way before. Craftsman is not worth it.

I got mine, very gently used, off Craigslist several years ago for around $300. The guy had been using it to make wooden toys out of pine.

I have used it a lot. Everything from blades to deburring to heavy shaping.

It has been great... worth every cent.

I did put a ceramic platten liner on it. This is a must for flat grinding.

I did get a 10" wheel with it. That's nice to have, but not necessary.

The down side is, as Gabriel said, the tool rest. I have considered trying to fab up something more stable.

And it is one speed only. This is fine for hogging, but I don't have the nerve for final edge work.

If I were starting from scratch with a $600 limit, I would seriously consider a Coote, but you would have to find a good deal on a 1.5 or 2hp motor and a step pulley to come in under budget.

I'm not sure I'd go $600 on Griz.

My $.02

Don

I'm sure I sound like a broken record since I post this every time someone asks about a grizzly grinder, but I got into this setup from Oregon Blade Maker with a variable speed motor for about $700. the basic grinder was $495, so if you can scrounge a motor, you could run with step pulleys or single speed for no more money than a grizz and have a much nicer grinder.

I've had mine for over a year, and have been very pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j61RprWPSr8

Im building mine, if you can find a used motor cheap, its well worth it IMHO. If you can weld its no problem, take a look at mine on instagram @tubbyblacksmith

You have done thus?_

You bet, others too. Poke around on bladeforums.com especially for discussion and examples. It's a great starter...I mean come on 150 bucks, 50 more in good trugrit belts you're ready to go. Invest little in this until your clear on where you're headed, I say. Let's say you come to the point where you're into knifemaking seriously, well, the little craftsman still has its uses in a shop, buy a grizzly at that point or one of the other good examples noted here. I'm having trouble linking what I've done but you can go to my profile here, select content and topics, see some examples from a few years back. There's lots to learn about knife making aside from grinding and for me it was good to have a super-cheap but capable stock removal machine to get me into the process.

Grinders are easy to build if you can drill holes straight or weld 3/8" steel. Easy is a relative term though. If you got nothing, the Grizzly might do. But I don't like the design. The drive wheel is directly on the motor, so there's no speed control, and it's also the only contact wheel, so unless you have the 10" wheel, which costs more, the motor is in the way. It's much better to have a separate drive and contact wheels like the KMG, Bader, and pretty much everything else. IMO the 3 wheel design is the best.

I do a lot of hollow grinding on contact wheels, but that's just my preference. I have a KMG and some other home built grinders. I think I paid $750 shipped for the KMG with the flat platen and no other options, but that was a while ago. I wired up several motors, but now I'm using a 3hp 220v with a high/low step pulley. Running it at high speed with 3hp is far more productive than trying not to bog down a 1hp motor at lower speeds. I can do in 2-3 minutes what used to take a half hour or more.

Interesting information, so far i must say all the handwork takes huge amounts of time. Project ahead building one whit 2.2hp motor

Brian, what build design do you like best ? I plan on building but my head is spinning from all the options and I have no idea what I want. I'll probably use a 2 hp motor and I'll tap and bolt everything because I don't know how to weld (yet). I'm a bit intimidated from the VFD's and they are very expensive, but I've heard some people use the Chinese ebay ones to good effect.

I favor the Coote. It's a little more expensive than the Grissly but it's also more flexible in that it can be fitted with an optional small wheel arm. That said, I know of a Master Smith out there who earned his stamp with a Griz.

Doug

They were actually making that thing when I got mine in '96.

It's better than having nothing, in my opinion, yet I know of a couple guys who have made quite a reputation using one.

After i got my first Bader BIII in 2000 I always referred to my Grizzly as a $400.00 pencil sharpener.