Jesus Hernandez

Does anyone have pictures of the Nijmegen sword?

I am talking about actual photographs and not drawings and I am referring to the Nijmegen sword with the serpent pattern.

I bit more information on these swords from Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde, Volume 5, pp. 199-200 (google books)

J. Ypey: "Damaszierung"; in: Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde", Band 5, S. 191.

Nijmegen zwaard page 199 v2.png

Nijmegen zwaard page 200.png

The sketch for the Iversheim sword (or both swords) might originate in:

Das fränkische Gräberfeld von Iversheim : Kreis Euskirchen

Christiane Neuffer-Müller.
Published: Berlin : G. Mann, 1972.
Note: At head of title: Römisch-Germanische Kommission des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts. Rheinishces Landesmuseum Bonn des Landschaftsverbandes Rheinland.
Physical Description: 110 p. : illus.
ISBN: 3786110581
Edited by Skip Williams
  • Like 1

Hmm... I have no photos at least. It's not on display in the museum in Nijmegen at least, and the internet doesn't find it either. I may have a document that lists it. I'll have to dig for it.

Thank you all.

That's an interesting description although Google translate is limited. Thanks, Skip.

Jeroen, if at any time you have the chance to see it I would love to have some pictures of it. The construction is reminiscent of the Vehmaa, Finland sword.

Sebastiaan Pelsmaeker summarized Ypey's opinion of this sword as follows

from Sebastiaan B.M. Pelsmaeker BA Master Thesis, Weapons of Princes, Weapons of War? An experimental analysis of pattern-welded swords from northwestern Europe, 400-1100 AD

Number V

Find location: The Waal near Nijmegen, the Netherlands.

Date: 9th century AD

Literature: Ypey 1983, pp. 199-201.

Other information: This sword is similar to a type IV in appearance, however, in construction it is

different the other swords. First it should be noted that this sword has many small faults; indicating

either an inexperienced smith or a troublesome material. Due to the bad forging of this blade it is

mostly thinner than 3 mm and it has a very irregular appearance. On one side of this sword the core

is constructed of two twisted rods in a herringbone pattern, on the other side it features a wave-like

piece of pattern-welding. It appears that the wavy piece is overlaid on top fo the two twisted rods,

possibly to increase the sword’s thickness and flexibility.

I've been looking because I'm pretty sure i have an image of the blade somewhere, one that I confused for the Vhelma sword at one time. I cant seem to find it right now though, but it had the description of the serpent

'overlayed' ontop of the blade

Thanks, Skip. The construction clue fits in the puzzle.

A long distance from Nijmegen to Vehmaa but it could have happened.