Mushin wakizashi

This blade is a hira-zukuri wakizashi made from homemade steel. 18” nagasa. The steel was made in a traditional bloomery furnace and divided in two blocks. The first billet was used for the core of the sanmai sandwich. This metal was carburized. The other block of metal was compacted and then folded to create 360 layers of metal divided in two to make the jacket of the sanmai. 360 degrees represents a full circle which goes along with the “mushin” topic which I tried to reflect in this blade.

“Mushin” literally translates to -no mind- as in the flow of things that happens to look easy because of the level of experience of the maker which at that point does not need to think about what he or she is about to do. I don’t feel like I have achieved mushin but I am easily relaxing towards my best approximation.

I wanted simplicity in the fittings to go along with the theme. The handle was made from a single piece of hardwood carved with simple yet elegant curves. The ends of the wood were lacquered black to create the illusion that the handle is shorter than it really is. All the fittings were made from copper and given a simple texture to avoid clouding the overall design. They were blackened using a patina.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 4

I love it. What is the effect on the tip of the scabbard (with matching effect on top of the handle cap thingy - sorry I can't remember proper terminology this early in the morning).

The steel is really attractive. Thanks for introducing me to a new concept.

kc

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

The incomplete circle brush stroke is used to represent "mushin." Not kanji, just a simplified interpretation. For the saya I used gold leaf then lacquer. I tried as best I could to make it look like ink.

Funny how the circle is incomplete. It likely has a significance. I find that is easier to reach this "mushin" state when I practice archery. Some shots feel just right. Unfortunately not all shots turn the same way.

This one of those pieces that is just completely jaw dropping! jawdrop.gif Two thumbs up!!! thumbup.gif

Alan we need some better similes!!