Alveprins

WIP: Hraustligr - The Dauntless

Ok - so I sold my Saami inspired knife "Hausakljufr" - the Skull Cleaver - and an unfortunate potential buyer was so frustrated about not getting to bid on it - he decided to order a custom job. I suggested to make a Long Seax instead of a copy of Hausakljufr, since that type of knife is something I've been wanting to make for a long time. Excited as he was about vikings - he agreed. I've had full control over the design. And this one I am particularly proud of. :)

I present to you all: Hraustligr - The Dauntless!

kniv AnB.jpg

I've scrapped my previous project found HERE - and re-purposed the steel for this knife. ;)

The steel for the body of the blade is made out of rasps, railroad, railroad plate steel, and UHB15LM steel.

The steel for the edge of the blade is made out of rasps, UHB20C and UHB15LM.

Body steel bars are folded to 48 layers and twisted 30 times clock and counter-clock wise.

Edge steel bar is folded to 176 layers, and twisted 40 times counter-clock wise.

The handle will be made in blackened folded and twisted steel, elk horn, compressed and stabilized birch bark, leather and possibly some copper.

Here are some various pics from through out the process:

stenger.jpg

Day 4 004.jpg

Day 4 005.jpg

bar 001.jpg

bar 002.jpg

steel pattern-1.jpg

steel pattern-3.jpg

steel pattern-2.jpg

Oh, and I've got a new favorite acid! Ferric Chloride! Omg, that stuff is caustic as hell! I love it! :D

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

Ok, so I continued to work.. its 1AM atm, but I simply could not help myself... :lol:

I've finally ground that bastard down to it's ideal thickness of 5mm. Or rather, 5,1mm - since I need a little bit to go on when I start working the finer grits. It will land around 5mm though... Anyhow, I've cut and forged the tip, forged the tang (I am obviously going to have to weld a piece on there - but hey; it's gonna be a hidden tang. :P

I need to order some more belts now... Damn I've moved through those belts quickly today. I got only one fresh belt left! :o

PS: Anyone know where I can order cheap 50 x 2000 mm belts? :huh: The only Norwegian supplier I could find charges like 133 USD for a pack of 10 - plus shipping. :unsure:

Ok, so here are the in progress pics of tonight... Note that the twisted steel for the edge is too fine to show any kind of detail at this rough grit (#120). I can barely see it. It is is really tight..:

Hraustligr-1.jpg

Hraustligr-2.jpg

Hraustligr-3.jpg

Hraustligr-4.jpg

So, total blade length is 26cm. That is 1 cm longer than I planned for. Then again, it is not as wide as I planned for. About 0.5cm less - but hey... the drawing is meant as a guideline only. ;)

• Like 3

Currently at work - experimenting with some paper clippings in order to get the length of the straps right...

I think I just about got it now...

oppheng.jpg

Currently I am considering forging the metal bits for the sheath and straps from pattern welded steel instead of using brass... but... I may need to reconsider that. This comission has a fixed price, and as I am adding complications to it - so am I reducing my own income. :unsure: But I can't help myself! :lol:

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

The blade survived the quench! :D

Hraustligr - quenched.jpg

I first thought the hardening had not taken - but figured out with the help of a few friendly forumites who suggested it might be decarb - that it was in fact decarb. The blade was tempered last night for 2,5 hours at +200C, and the hardness of the edge steel is now approx. 56 / 57 HRC which I think will be good for a chopping blade like this.

Currently I've started sanding it at #240 grit. More updates to come later. :)

Something I've noticed though is that when making a multi bar blade like this, for some reason the blade does not neccesarily warp along its length, but the edge twists to the right. I bring it up to above critical temperature, straighten the edge as best I can, re-heat the blade to normalize again, and when the blade cools - the edge twists. It happened to the previous long blade (22cm) I made, and to this one (26cm). I don't know if it is a result of uneven grinding on each side of the blade, or because of the different types of steel - some of it mystery-steel - that cools at different speeds and reacts accordingly... Either way, this blade has a slight twist in the edge towards the right, but it is not visibile unless you know what you are looking for.

The blade quenched without any additional twisting, bending or warping - at a thickness of 5mm at the spine, and maybe 1,5mm at the edge.

I've ordered a broader resting table for my belt grinder, along with a bevel jig - so I will definitely be able to see if that makes a difference in the next blade I make. :)

Edited by Alveprins
  • Like 1

That's pretty! But are those MIG weld beads between the back bars and the edge bar? I ask only because that's why I don't do that anymore... ;)

• Like 1

That's pretty! But are those MIG weld beads between the back bars and the edge bar? I ask only because that's why I don't do that anymore... ;)

No, that is just residual oxidation that did not break off during quench. ;) I would never do any MIG welding to the blade body. That would be blasphemous! :lol:

Blade is now polished, and etched.

The edge steel there gives off a nice 3D effect whenever I tilt the blade... very cool indeed... :)

etched-4.jpg

etched-1.jpg

etched-2.jpg

etched-3.jpg

etched-5.jpg

Next up is starting to fold the steel for the fittings! :D

• Like 1

that looks awesome! Not really a seax due to handle shape and ricasso. At least, that isn't what I think of a seax.

Not a criticism, though. It is an outsanding knife. Great work. Thanks for documenting and sharing with us, too.

• Like 1

that looks awesome! Not really a seax due to handle shape and ricasso. At least, that isn't what I think of a seax.

Not a criticism, though. It is an outsanding knife. Great work. Thanks for documenting and sharing with us, too.

Not meant to be historically accurate. I sincerely despise the flairing tips of original blades. :D

• Like 1

Ok - so I've done a littlebit more work on this.

1. I've buffed the etched blade on a polishing wheel

- to great effect (see video)

https://youtu.be/ITlVb988STI

2. I've started on the metal fittings for the handle

36 layers of 15n20 and railroad steel, twisted 20 times, and today finally ground nice and square and normalized.

handle parts-1.jpg

handle parts-2.jpg

Perhaps after some food I will split the bar in half - and start working on holes for the tang. Then tomorrow I can start rough shaping the diameter of the parts I suppose. :)

I plan on deep-etching and blueing these when they are done - for an extra strong contrast. :D

Edited by Alveprins

Ok guys... I've run into a problem....

stained horns.jpg

How the heck do I make these Elk antler bits more white again?

Or is that impossible? :unsure:

I am at my wit's end here...

That's a beautiful piece of work!

On the antler, did you grind into the pith, or is the staining from metal contamination due to sanding?

It might clean up if gently scrubbed with a toothbrush in a mild detergent and water, but I doubt that would do the birchbark much good.

Hi Alveprins.

Edit to say, Awesome work!! :D

I use BND Abrasives & Tapes Limited in the UK, just got a new batch of 50x2000mm belts from them.

Great service and good price. I got 30 SIA 2803 Zirc belts in 36P and 12 SIA 2920 AO belts in 60P and paid right under 2000kr shipped + 25% import tax.

I'm really happy with the Zirc belts! Haven't tried the AO yet, but I plan on using them for wood so they should work fine ;) .

Edited by Marius A Bacher

That's a beautiful piece of work!

On the antler, did you grind into the pith, or is the staining from metal contamination due to sanding?

Thanks!

Contamination....

It might clean up if gently scrubbed with a toothbrush in a mild detergent and water, but I doubt that would do the birchbark much good.

I decided to make it worse instead - and go for a rustic look. ;)

Hi Alveprins.

Edit to say, Awesome work!! :D

I'm really happy with the Zirc belts! Haven't tried the AO yet, but I plan on using them for wood so they should work fine ;) .

Thanks!

Anyhow - like I mentioned to Mr. Longmire - I've decided to simply make it worse instead - and call it intentional. ;)

Here is the result:

Handle Finished.jpg

I still need to get it's name "Hraustligr" into the middle elk antler part there. I think I will burn the runes in. :D

• Like 2

Very nice save! I think the rustic look is perfect for this knife.

Looking forward to seeing the sheath.

well, I like it! I think it has class. good job.

Alright - so some more pics...

I've finally finished the knife itself - and I will be now moving on to working on the sheath - which should prove a real challenge since I've never made a leather and brass Seax style sheath before - but I'll pull through I suppose. ;)

And here are the pics... Not super professional - since I've just used my mobile phone - but it will have to do for now:

Hraustligr S 001.jpg

Hraustligr S 002.jpg

Hraustligr S 003.jpg

Next up will be the sheath! XD

Anxiously awaiting more! I really like this knife.

Alright - so I've finally gotten around to finishing the sheath as well.

I had to make some design adjustments as my original design was way too complex and labour intensive relative to the budget. So I made a few changes - and went with a simpler version.

The next time I make a knife like this - I will be making it super complex - but at the same time there will be no budget limitation for it - so it will most likely end up one expensive piece.... :)

Anyhow, here are the most recent images:

Hraustligr-1.jpg

Hraustligr-2.jpg

Hraustligr-3.jpg

Hraustligr-4.jpg

The only thing that disapoints me - is how I've been unable to prevent scuff marks from getting on the metal parts of the handle - as well as some residual glue that I have been unable to get off. :(

• Like 1