Sign in to follow this  
Doug Crawford

Your Dream Shop

I was wondering what all you veteran smiths would choose for your shop if money was not an option, but all gear had to be items you could purchase new. The whole lot- anvil, forge, hammers, press, grinders, power hammer, all that jazz.

I would simply get a duplicate of Ric Furer's shop. He has the worst tool habit of anyone I know, and that is saying a lot.

I envision someday being clean and organized enough to have a shop like Dave Stephens, but it will take many years of therapy to correct my filth and clutter tendencies.

I can't think of anything I would NOT have if money was not an object.

Edited by Karl B. Andersen

I envision someday being clean and organized enough to have a shop like Dave Stephens, but it will take many years of therapy to correct my filth and clutter tendencies.

Thanks Don! I do get crap occasionally about having a clean shop. It's simply a requirement for me. Chaos outside equals chaos in the brain.

Don Fogg had a great article on his old website in which he talks about his daily ritual of sweeping out the shop and racking tools as a way to transition from the ordinary world to the space in which one needs to be to create.

But . . . to answer the question: I would love to add a nice power hammer to my shop (Iron Kiss or similar). I'd also really like to have the new Tormach auto surface grinder w/ the belt sander attachment. A custom installed, industrial-strength dust collection system (with metal ductwork run to each machine, housed in a sound-proof room, etc.) would also be a very nice thing. And, of course, a bigger press, rolling mill, anvil, (brain), etc. Not sure that "want" ever goes away.

Nicest shop I've ever seen (but I've seen very few) is Michael Pikula's. It's a pretty amazing space: custom built to be a swordsmith's shop from the design up. My favorite bit is the sunken pit into which his quench and salt tanks are set so you can lower a sword-length blade into them without climbing a ladder. He has a beast of a hammer, and all the toys . . . like all of them.

I've heard the legends about Ric's shop, too. Would love to visit sometime.

Dave