Help with blade shape

It's been awhile but I'm still around. I am currently attempting to make a knife for a good friend of mine, he is a knife maker in Georgia and the one that inspired me to make knives.

My forging is getting better (despite the absence of my cross peen).but I could use some help with this blade shape. I thought I had the piece the way I wanted it, but after some profiling I feel like it resembles more of a kitchen knife than a outdoor/bushcraft blade. I would like to hear your thoughts before I move forward and can't put steel back. The knife is 1/4" admiral 1084, 9 5/8"OAL, 5 1/4"Blade. Thanks!

20161006_165820.jpg

OK, this is just my opinion. The blade shape is fine as it is, it has a bit of Nessmuk look to it, however, if you took the curve out of the spine, I think it would look better. Take heat on the center of the blade, from about a third of the way back from the tip to about the middle of the tang, Grab it securely by the tip of the tang, hold it edge up and rap it on the anvil. It might take a couple of heats, and you will probably have to straighten the the whole thing, but this will take the curve out of the spine without having to hammer down on the edge. Another way would be to use a helper and to set a hammer at the tang/blade junction and give a rap with another hammer. You're not trying to move metal, just to adjust the profile, so not too much power is wanted.

On other thing, and take this with some reservations, I think you got too much width in the tang. I don't do many full tang knives, so my eye is not as good in that arena. Here is one that I did that shows what I think would look better.

IMG_0628 (800x533).jpg

This one is longer, but much the same shape. The handle tilts down just a bit and the spine is straight.

This is just my .02, so take it for what it's worth. That is a nice bit of forging, BTW.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff! I will do both things you suggested. I was thinking of grinding the spine down but then I would have still have the curve in the blade. I guess I'm feeling and gripping the tang and not taking the scales into considerationew. Thank you for the kind words, I may have forged the bevels too close again but time will tell.

Well I have nothing new to add but my first impressions were to straighten the spine, straighten the belly and trim the tang.

Forgive me for being a newbie offering advise but could you not heat the center of the blade and lay the spine of the knife on your anvil and "hammer" on the edge with the equavilant of a baseball bat?

You could, but it can upset or bend over the edge. Nothing that can't be fixed. The steel doesn't care much how the force is applied. Slapping the steel on the anvil is a good technique to know, however. It's a good way to move a long section of a big blade.

Geoff