Ricky's Hunting Knife... with damascus made by Ricky

JUL recently brought up a topic about appreciating this forum. While I have never had the chance to meet very many people from the forum face to face, I have made friends, and I value those friendships.

This knife is the result of one of those friendships. Fellow forumite Ricky has been giving me a ration of shit for a while now, in the best possible way. He thought highly enough of what I make to want a knife from me. So I made him one.

At one point in our discussion, he joked about making some damascus for the fittings, and then suddenly it wasn't a joke and he was making damascus for the fittings for the knife up at Kevin the Professor's shop. I guess that encapsulates how I feel about this forum. The fact that a fellow knifemaker wanted me to make something for him, but he wanted to be a part of it, so he made damascus at another knifemaker's shop. It was a collaboration in the best possible way.

Anyhow, here is the knife.

Steel: 80CrV2

Guard and buttcap: 20 Layer 1084/15N20 damascus

Washer and Pin: Beaten Copper

Handle: Claro Walnut

Blade Length: 6.25" (15.8cm)

OAL: 10.75" (27.3cm)

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

• Like 4

What's not to like about that one, including story. I agree something as simple as recessing the pommel/cap is a great touch! It is like as you eye wonders around you see how each part of the knife complements, the other parts that make-up the knife as well as the sheath itself. Well done Wes!!!

• Like 1

lovvvvvve it !!.... :)

maybe my next trip down to visit my sister and bro inlaw in Duvall we can arrange a quik hello 'n' a coffee !!.............if it works

Edited by BCROB
  • Like 1

Speaking from my own limited experience, I know making a knife like this is a complex process fraught with little puzzles and frustrating complications. That being said, your knives are so clean and crisp it makes it look effortless. Your attention to detail is inspiring, I absolutely love it!

• Like 1

Excellent in every way Wes. Clean lines, tight fit, great finish, nice material choices.

Now pony up and tell us how you did that sunken butt cap.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I greatly appreciate the kind words and feedback on the knife and story. I greatly enjoy this forum, and it's hard not to gush about it sometimes.

I have met Chris above, and Geoff, and would love to meet more. It seems that most of the bladesmithing action happens back east, so alas, it may be a rare occurrence but I would welcome it none the less.

lovvvvvve it !!.... :)

maybe my next trip down to visit my sister and bro inlaw in Duvall we can arrange a quik hello 'n' a coffee !!.............if it works

Geoff lives in Duvall, so maybe we could make this a thing Rob. Convince Robert to drive over the pass... that would be pretty sweet.

Excellent in every way Wes. Clean lines, tight fit, great finish, nice material choices.

Now pony up and tell us how you did that sunken butt cap.

Thanks Josh! I really appreciate that.

It might be hard to believe, but the handle is actually two pieces, split length wise and glued together. I mortised out both sides pieces for the tang. Once I got the fit just right, I clamped it together, and drew the outline of the buttcap on the end, and then unclamped it and carved both ends out for buttcap recess. It made it easier since I wasn't carving down into the wood to make a hole, and instead came in from the side on each piece. I was pretty religious about making sure that the inside faces of each piece of the handle were as flat as I could make them so that any seams would be hidden. See the attached pictures. Even at this point the seam was almost invisible.

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you everyone, I greatly appreciate the kind words and feedback on the knife and story. I greatly enjoy this forum, and it's hard not to gush about it sometimes.

I have met Chris above, and Geoff, and would love to meet more. It seems that most of the bladesmithing action happens back east, so alas, it may be a rare occurrence but I would welcome it none the less.

Geoff lives in Duvall, so maybe we could make this a thing Rob. Convince Robert to drive over the pass... that would be pretty sweet.

That would be a fun bs session indeed !!

Yes met Geoff last year , he's a 2 minute drive from my sisters , timing wasn't the best as he was busy but he went out of his way to show me and brother in law around , thanks again Geoff , always love a walk through of other makers shops !!

Well damn I never would have guessed you split and mortised that handle. Wes we just need to make things happen, I have loved attending things like Dave Lisch's pre funk to the last 2 Seattle knife shows, so keep me in the loop if things get put together. I've headed west over the passes for a lot less fun things. Remodeling my shop now but I'd love to host something in the future if people want to come my (long)way across the state.

Chris

Edited by Chris Roberts

Wes,

it was definitely worth the wait, the knife is beautiful! I can't wait to handle it person, its making me look forward to hunting season this year.

btw, calling me a knifemaker is kind of stretching it a bit, do you think? lol

R

beautiful, great form and nicely executed. I especially like the pommel, thanks for showing how you did that. I may have to give it a try.

That would be a fun bs session indeed !!

Yes met Geoff last year , he's a 2 minute drive from my sisters , timing wasn't the best as he was busy but he went out of his way to show me and brother in law around , thanks again Geoff , always love a walk through of other makers shops !!

Well damn I never would have guessed you split and mortised that handle. Wes we just need to make things happen, I have loved attending things like Dave Lisch's pre funk to the last 2 Seattle knife shows, so keep me in the loop if things get put together. I've headed west over the passes for a lot less fun things. Remodeling my shop now but I'd love to host something in the future if people want to come my (long)way across the state.

Chris

It sounds like we need to get something figured out. I know that we talked about it earlier this year, but it kind of went no where. I would like that to change.

beautiful, great form and nicely executed. I especially like the pommel, thanks for showing how you did that. I may have to give it a try.

Thanks Justin! I am glad that I could be of help.

Wes,

it was definitely worth the wait, the knife is beautiful! I can't wait to handle it person, its making me look forward to hunting season this year.

R

And of course, your opinion of it makes the most difference. I am glad you are happy with it, and I hope it gives you long life. Hell ya, you are a knifemaker! I have seen knives you have made :)

Awesome Wes. I went back to the photos you posted. The last one has a pretty clear shot of the handle belly and that seam is completely invisible.

Nice job!

R

Only you can answer that question Ricky! Is you or ain't you? Sounds to me like you have the spirit, and that's the biggest part.

• Like 1

I missed this one before. I like it a lot. It is a very nice knife. The patten welded steel looks good too. Ricky made that in one long day of work. I used the steel we made that day in a knife, but I don't remember which one.

Ricky came up today and we tried our hand at casting ingots of bronze to make guards and such out of. Great day.

First time we met, he came to my old house and garage shop so we could try smelting. We weren't great at it, but ok. Next up is an Evenstad-style hearth melt of a lot of cable.

That, and getting better at casting pommels for daos.

Great work. It is always good to see other knife nuts.

By the way, Rick is a knife maker. It is just that usually, he makes one, then takes it apart again. Then makes it, and takes it apart again. He gets a little obsessive...

Really nice knife! I totally like the organic feel that insetting the damascus butt plate into the walnut gives the handle.

• Like 1