Okay, I finally got it fabricated, insulated, and put together. It's made from a 30# propane tank, 16" long, 12" in diameter, and lined with 2" thick kaowool coated with satanite and ITC100. It's got three 3/4" burners spaced 5" apart from centers. The gas goes in through 0.030" mig tips. I used bell reducers for the nozzles. So I fired it up for the first time and noticed several things. It shoots flames out both ends significantly, like about a foot high. I can only run the center burner without flames just blowing out both ends. Second issue is that when I try to run the burners hotter, they start spitting and sputtering and the flame goes on and off. Any suggestions on how to fix these issues would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Too many burners for such a small space, the flames leap out to get enough air to burn. One burner in the center would be enough for the free space in your forge, in my opinion. Can't address anything else without pictures or video.

Agreed, you want one 3/4 burner. A single atmospheric burner will get the thing as hot as it can get when its wide open. If the fuel isn't finding oxygen until it leaves the forge, you have a nice reducing atmosphere. You don't want free oxygen in the forge since it causes oxidation (scale).

If the burners are firing downwards, turn the thing on its side. I don't like heat going up my burners when I idle them or shut them off. It reduced their life. They should come in from the side or from below to prevent the chimney effect.

Edited by Brian C Madigan