• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  

Howdy to y'all. Last month I got to follow my wife to Tokyo, for a big tennis tournament, as she works for the WTA. So, what can a bladesmith do in Tokyo?...

Needless to say, I caught the train and went to the Token Japanese Museum. Oh, well, I couldn't take pictures in the exhibit and I am still crying for that because there was a temporary display of the Masatsune workshop and his students... Well, I suffered from Stendhal Syndrome and almost cried in front of a tsuba on which waves were carved with such a grace and, yet, powerful and dynamic that the richness of golden pheasants and colored flowers on other fittings paled to its comparison.

Anyway, I could take pictures, instead, in the Tokyo National Museum so, pictures of Katanas and fittings will come later, when I will have time to upload pics from my camera.

For the moment...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't know why some pics are sideways after uploading... Anyway, more to come later...

Yes, Alaln, it is! I got emotional, looking at it, under the rain, left there on the floor. I wish I had an angle grinder on me. If you read the plates it explains a lot. Next pictures will show also a cross section af the original Tatara. At the gift shop they sell small pieces of Tamahagane in mini boxes and pouches. If they had a bigger one for a price that wouldn't force me to sell a kidney, I would have bought it...

Inside the hall. Here the pics stop. It was forbidden to shoot photos in the exhibit. Sorry guys....

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you! Wait for the hot ones...

Some more pics. Tokyo is a beautiful jewel where the ancient meets the modern... I hope I can go back soon...

20160914_201108.jpg20160915_230537.jpg20160916_000235.jpg20160916_001445.jpg

Thank you! The trip is indeed worth every single penny, Floyd! Such an incredible experience. I will try to gather some words to express how I felt when I was there...

Incredible exhibit, and pictures. Thank you. One day I hope to take some there myself.