Howdy to y'all. Last month I got to follow my wife to Tokyo, for a big tennis tournament, as she works for the WTA. So, what can a bladesmith do in Tokyo?...

Needless to say, I caught the train and went to the Token Japanese Museum. Oh, well, I couldn't take pictures in the exhibit and I am still crying for that because there was a temporary display of the Masatsune workshop and his students... Well, I suffered from Stendhal Syndrome and almost cried in front of a tsuba on which waves were carved with such a grace and, yet, powerful and dynamic that the richness of golden pheasants and colored flowers on other fittings paled to its comparison.

Anyway, I could take pictures, instead, in the Tokyo National Museum so, pictures of Katanas and fittings will come later, when I will have time to upload pics from my camera.

For the moment...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't know why some pics are sideways after uploading... Anyway, more to come later...

Yes, Alaln, it is! I got emotional, looking at it, under the rain, left there on the floor. I wish I had an angle grinder on me. If you read the plates it explains a lot. Next pictures will show also a cross section af the original Tatara. At the gift shop they sell small pieces of Tamahagane in mini boxes and pouches. If they had a bigger one for a price that wouldn't force me to sell a kidney, I would have bought it...

Inside the hall. Here the pics stop. It was forbidden to shoot photos in the exhibit. Sorry guys....

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you! Wait for the hot ones...

Some more pics. Tokyo is a beautiful jewel where the ancient meets the modern... I hope I can go back soon...

20160914_201108.jpg20160915_230537.jpg20160916_000235.jpg20160916_001445.jpg

Thank you! The trip is indeed worth every single penny, Floyd! Such an incredible experience. I will try to gather some words to express how I felt when I was there...