Any local steel suppliers in the Charlotte, NC area.

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, and I just recently binge watched 3 seasons of "Forged with Fire " and got the bug to try my hand at knife making.

So, I ordered some 1095 and 5160 from Knifemaking.com. The price for the two 18" pieces seems reasonable at about $15, but the shipping for those two pieces was $18 more. Seems a bit high to me.

Anyone know where someone could pick up material locally in the Charlotte, NC area?

Thanks,

Mitch

All you will find locally just about anywhere in the states is W-1, O-1, and leaf spring steel. Any industrial supply place (check the yellow pages for bolt and screw supplies, or as a last resort find a Fastenall) and ask for drill rod. Water-hard drill rod is W-1 (1095, more or less) and oil-hard drill rod is O-1. Don't get the air-hard (A2), you'll regret it. 5160 or equivalent (6150, 9260, etc.) can be found at a spring shop if you offer to buy their drops from new stock. It is most likely 5160 and will be able to be heat-treated like 5160, but there's no guarantee it actually IS 5160.

The drill rod only comes in round bar from 1/8" - 1.5" or so and the leaf spring only comes in curved flat bar around 5/16" x 2.5". If you're lucky enough to have a spring shop that winds coil springs try to buy the drops from there. It's handier than flat bar for a lot of things.

If you want anything else or any other sizes I strongly recommend ordering it from the New Jersey Steel Baron, Aldo Bruno. Google him. He's about the only place to get 1084 and clean low-manganese 1075, and his 1095 is very clean and low-Mn as well. And sometimes he has W-2!

In other words, you're not going to find much in the way of tool steels or blade steels locally anywhere outside a major industrial metropolitan area, and I don't think Charlotte is that industrial.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

I know that there are suppliers in NC, people in ABANA meets have talked about some sort of steel depot where you can buy blade steels, but it is mostly in Raleigh and Durham. There seem to be plenty of them in Charlotte when you search them on Google Maps.

Thanks Alan & Wesley. I just found Hudson Tool Steel with a Charlotte address. Their website says they have W-1 and 0-1 plus more in flat bar stock. I'll have to give them a call to see if they actually have a store front.

Hi!

I'm in Midland, just outside charlotte, and work in Cornelius- and order from Aldo at NJ Steel Baron every now and then- they have flat rate shipping so if you want to go in on an order every now and then and split up the shipping costs I would be happy to do that. The only thing I have found locally is o1 rod from fastenal.

~Doug

Edited by Doug Crawford

Thanks Doug,

Yeah, I just checked NJ Steel Baron and 48" of 52100 is about $20, but the shipping is over 1.5 times that at just under $34, ouch

--mitch

Edited by Mitch_H

There's a Metal Supermarket in Charlotte that has a fairly good selection, and some drops in big blocks that looked like they might be good as anvils. I don't think they had any 1084 but I was able to get 1018 there for a project last year. The drops on a shelf in the back are a lot less expensive than cutting from a new piece and they will cut to size for a fee.