Mechanical Success, Aesthetic Failure

So I thought that it would look cool to lacquer tea leaves onto a knife handle and scabbard, but it ended up looking like a turd with a blade inside. Also, the lines of the scabbard don't match up with the lines of the handle, making it look bad. It works well though, and it feels good in-hand. Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes!

o2mYa60.jpg?1

IveK7V4.jpg?1S42lNAj.jpg?1

Edited by Wesley Alberson

I think you guys are right. I was originally going for a texture, but with the materials and colors it doesn't match. I'll try to get it smooth and polished. Right now I am doing a test sheath with dried and crushed up autumn leaves.

Turd aside, it almost looks like a stone finish.

When things don't go as planned, I just remember that mistakes are how we learn best.

Different color and less square and I think it'd look quite nice.

Well, thankfully take-apart knives can be altered at any point, so I think I'll just carve the existing handle. I will probably lacquer it again with some sort of finer, more consistent material. I have tested crushed up leaves as a coating, and it looks pretty cool, although I think that it would look better if I didn't mix the red and yellow leaves together, there's enough color variation in similar leaves that it will create a cool color and texture. Although I think if I crushed them up into powder it would work better. I took some hydrangea and knockout rose petals, dried them out, and crushed them in a mortar and pestle until they were powder. It made a really nice purple color. I'm thinking of doing this with bright red leaves and creating a fine stone texture with the red powder. The lacquer keeps the leaves from oxidizing and turning brown.

Edited by Wesley Alberson