Damascus with low carbon

It being high carbon or low carbon doesn't matter and he wouldn't know the difference any way.
The issue heat treatment.
What properties does it need to be in order to flex etc.
The next thing is contrast.
If he wants a nice light and dark contrast he's going to have to use a nickel bearing steel and a high manganese steel so that the nickel steel is light and the other is dark maybe even black depending on how its treated.

honestly high carbon will actually work harden more than low carbon steel, but thats all and you can easily anneal it. as far as getting a good source of contrasting steel, you could get some old bandsaw blades or circular saw blades that you don't use anymore that have a high nickle content and use those with some mild steel, and just heat those to critical after forge welding those together to anneal them and draw the carbon out.

"Behold, I have created the smith who blows the fire of coals and produces a weapon for its purpose. I have also created the ravager to destroy;"-Isaiah 54:16

JJ is right.

I suspect the guy wants low carbon because he's going to be doing some machining to make the lump-o-damascus into a putter and is afraid high carbon will be harder to machine. If that is the case he doesn't really know much about metallurgy, but that's fine. The big thing at play here is contrast, and for that you need nickel. IF you want high contrast with high carbon, be aware the contrast will not show very well if the steel has not been hardened. You can temper it way back afterward, and I'd think you'd want a putter to have a good spring temper to it anyway, but I digress.

The simple way to do this as low carbon high contrast would be to weld up a billet of 1018/1020 and pure nickel sheet, normalize, do all the machining, and then have a gunsmith hot blue the sucker. The steel will turn almost black and the nickel will not be affected, no etch needed, no topography to potentially grab the ball. You could (and probably should) even mirror polish the club head before bluing it.

And what is it with you guys and circular saw blades? I'm all for using scrap if you know what it is, but those definitely fall under the mystery steel heading. :huh:

• Like 1

Alan is correct. He is doing machining and doesn't want to hassle with the high carbon. I even showed him how to make his own damascus, but he would rather spend his time making putters and clubs. He wants what he wants and hes willing to pay for it, so I think ill do up a billet of 1018 and pure nickel for him.

Thanks for the help

John