Casting Call for Forged in Fire Season 4

They could make the HUGE leap and pay every knifemaking participant.........like they do the lighting guy, the sound guy, the nurse,the camera guys, the producers, the security guys, the editors, the.....

Ric

• Like 6

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

scale would be nice.... not going to happen but would be nice..

No pay, no way, José! :)

I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing, but now I'm wondering what's going to happen when they run out of bladesmiths. There can't be too many more left.

No pay, no way, José! :)

I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing, but now I'm wondering what's going to happen when they run out of bladesmiths. There can't be too many more left.

Are you kidding me? There are thousands of them. I think they will run out of really cool things to make before they run out of people willing to go on the show.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

allmost as many bladesmiths as there are chefs ... i think they will be good for a few more seasons... the challenges on the other hand ... they do not seem to be going in the direction I was hoping for.. I wanted to see skill tested, ask they to forge odd shapes or profiles. I mean I would be impressed with a T back Kard in 3 hours! the forge welding challenges are a step in the right direction, but all this reliance on junk is not..

• Like 1

I'd like to see someone other than Doug doing the cutting tests with the longer swords. I'm sure he's very good with a short blade, but I hate to say it...as a backyard cutter, while no expert, I have better edge alignment when cutting with my swords. Remember the first Scottish Claymore episode? The slow motion revealed terrible edge alignment, which I believe contributed to both swords' failures. The second Claymore episode, bad alignment again when Matthew's sword was tested. I don't think the smiths are getting a fair chance with some of these cutting tests. Perhaps bring in a WMA/HEMA instructor?

I also agree that the junk piles are getting old. All that said, I still enjoy the show. As a beginner, I pick up something every episode, and I just like to watch people make blades!

If only I lived on the other side of the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

I like the show, I think it's amusing and the drama isn't too fake to make it unwatchable.

My favorite part of each episode is the part where they show the smiths in their home forges,I have already picked up a few neat tricks from that.

The biggest problem I have with the series is the fact that they only show and evaluate knives as weapons. <_<

I think it would be really cool if they had to make a chef's knife for instance, and have a pro chef use them for heavy kitchen tasks, as well as delicate cutting.

I would think designing and making a knife to do a specific task flawlessly is a lot more challenging than making a hunk of steel that will penetrate a car door.

If only I lived on the other side of the Atlantic. :rolleyes:

I like the show, I think it's amusing and the drama isn't too fake to make it unwatchable.

My favorite part of each episode is the part where they show the smiths in their home forges,I have already picked up a few neat tricks from that.

The biggest problem I have with the series is the fact that they only show and evaluate knives as weapons. <_<

I think it would be really cool if they had to make a chef's knife for instance, and have a pro chef use them for heavy kitchen tasks, as well as delicate cutting.

I would think designing and making a knife to do a specific task flawlessly is a lot more challenging than making a hunk of steel that will penetrate a car door.

I agree, for lots of reasons; the most important being that it is vital to educate the general public that a knife is at least as much a tool as a weapon. I work outside for my day job and carry a 3.5" fixed blade on my belt, and it seems to make people uncomfortable sometimes when we're working in less rural areas.

My fiancée is a park ranger and used to wear a knife regularly, but one of the other rangers got cut pretty badly when a kid grabbed the ranger's knife out of its sheath and was waving it around. The kid's father said to the ranger, "well it serves you right for carrying a weapon around." Keep in mind this is Connecticut and we can't even carry anything longer than four inches.

People don't understand, and shows like this really aren't helping the issue.

Edited by Adam Betts

I really get into it sometimes. I yell at them

"YOU'RE QUENCHING TOO HOT!" or "THAT'S NOT GOING TO WELD!" etc etc.

I do like the idea of pulling out historical weapons that most of us haven't even considered making. Like the North African throwing sword. THAT was nuts.

I like how they do things like 'it must have a fuller x-inches long' and stuff like that. They mix it up enough to make it worth watching all the episodes.

Except for the martial arts guru who says "THIS SIR, WILL KILLLLL". Not too impressed with that guy.

Ya know...they have been trying to get me on there as a judge for a while and frankly I just simply have no interest in being in Brooklyn for that long..away from my family and my own business.... Plus everything is a weapon.. so why not a kitchen knife (a suggested above)? Because there will be no interest in it..I can see that guy saying "This blade will KIILL that zucchini" there are so many different things that can be made that folks will have little interest in...Heck.. some of the stuff I have made in the close to 50 years I have been doing this: The weirdest were cock fighting spurs I made for a fellow down in Louisiana back in the late 1990's when it was still legal...

I would like to see them do a show on some of the older wood working tools like froes, scorps and other neat stuff but there is no "mystique" surrounding those as there is around a weapon..

Sigh...Back to work for me...

JPH

• Like 1

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is disturbed by the show's emphasis on a knife as a weapon and not as a tool. There's enough of people assuming that you are going about armed just because you carry a pocket knife and this just feeds into it.

Doug

• Like 2

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

• 3 months later...

It would be really nice to see something other than weapons on the show. I don't think it would fly with the target demographic though. Same reason they don't elaborate too much on the knifemaking process. The target audience just wouldn't be very interested. 

I'd be terrible at designing the show. It's end up having competitive hand-sanding. With hushed golf-like commentary. :P

• Like 1
On 11/3/2016 at 8:32 AM, Connor J. Myers-Norton said:

I believe you must be a legal adult so 18+ I think

Yep. They contacted me and wanted me on there, but as it turns out they aren't allowed to put minors on the show (I'm sixteen).

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

I asked J Nielson about the age thing too and it's 18+, but he's been pushing for younger. On that note, I don't think they'll run out of smiths any time soon. Heck it seems to me in recent years the number of teen smiths has been really rising, just a few more years and you'll have plenty of new ones. Liam Hoffman's episode proved pretty well that younger doesn't mean worse

• Like 1

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

4 hours ago, Caleb Harris said:

I asked J Nielson about the age thing too and it's 18+, but he's been pushing for younger. On that note, I don't think they'll run out of smiths any time soon. Heck it seems to me in recent years the number of teen smiths has been really rising, just a few more years and you'll have plenty of new ones. Liam Hoffman's episode proved pretty well that younger doesn't mean worse

The producer I talked to also said they were trying to push for a lesser age restriction and was talking like they might be able to do it, so you never know. There are definitely some young guys like you and I doing quality work. Maybe they could do an episode with all <18 smiths, that would be interesting.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

17 hours ago, Collin Miller said:

The producer I talked to also said they were trying to push for a lesser age restriction and was talking like they might be able to do it, so you never know. There are definitely some young guys like you and I doing quality work. Maybe they could do an episode with all <18 smiths, that would be interesting.

I'm just hoping they do it before I turn 18 :wacko:. I would love to compete with you but my work in general is often comprised of whatever goes wrong for the contestants XD. 

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

I agree they should pay for time. It has been better than I thought it would be, by far. Almost every time I tell someone I make swords (I got tired of being asked about combat knives so I tend to say, "I make swords," rather than, "I am a bladesmith." Even though, gulp, I may make a fighting knife every now and then).

Anyway, almost every time, people ask if I, "saw that show?" 

Adam - in CT, it isn't legal to have a fixed blade longer than 1.5" unless you are, "going to or from martial arts class, hunting, or you make, repair, or sell knives." I carry a business card in my car all the time to avoid weapons charges because of a knife or sword. I have spoken to state law enforcement about this, and that was their suggestion.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I think that this has been brought up before and the answer is liability.  I guess that they think it's more of a risk having minors making knives and swords than it is having some little blighter copping their finger tips off.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!