Welded viking spearhead, early medieval sabres, and welded blades

Hi everyone, I do not show anything for a long time, but I think now is a good time to do this :)

First, a welded viking spearhead, M-type, X-XI century, it is based on second spearhead from the left in the picture with original spearheads.

Welded from the core, 2 pieces of turned left/right 18-layer bars, and 2 edges, it is hardened and tempered in 230 C.

Dimentions:
length 49,5 cm
Blade length: 38 cm
socket length: 11,5 cm, socket diameter: 28mm,
spearhead thickness near socked: 9mm,
width: 45mm
The spearhead is sharpened, etched and polished.

Before welding:

1.JPG

And ready spearhead:

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.jpg

In next post I show You sabres :)

And question to administrator, can I try to sell that spearhead on that forum?

• Like 2

WOW that's such a nice shape and proportions! Also love the welding, I've been wanting to try forging the socket first and welding the rest on, did you find it difficult not messing up the socket while forgewelding?

Great work!

That sabres are based on sabre from Radymno: http://znaleziska.org/wiki/index.php/Szabla_(Radymno)

Forged from the spring steel 50HF, the blue one is sharped, the rest has 2mm edge.

On handle is leather, european ash, brass and bronze (cap and hilt).

From hilt to ring there is 10,5 cm length, blade dimentions:

length: 73 cm

width: 2,8cm

thickness: 5mm

13936531_1168340243208918_249153298_n.jpg

13940888_1168340099875599_370397987_n.jpg

13942725_1168340056542270_1117436689_n.jpg

13957444_1168340143208928_919692868_n.jpg

And last, 2 blades pattern welded for sabre, the same as above, first has 128 layers, second 256 layers, welded from NC6 and 50HF steel, with the same dimentions as above.

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Regards, Rafał Garbacik

• Like 1

WOW that's such a nice shape and proportions! Also love the welding, I've been wanting to try forging the socket first and welding the rest on, did you find it difficult not messing up the socket while forgewelding?

Great work!

This is first time, when I welded the spearhead, as You can see, for welding I have full-forged socket, after welding process the socket stay in the same form as before welding, I cannot see any deformations on it :)

Gorgeous work! Those saber blades remind very strongly of iron age "crooked knives/swords" of eastern Europe: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33154 Typical to see that blade shape throughout history specifically in that area.

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk

I love all of it! The spear is impressive, and I have a serious thing for sabers (since my beloved dao came from them).

Outstanding!

kc

Thank all of You for appreciate my work :)

Jeroen, that swords You show looks like a grandparents of the saber that I show, almost the same blade curve and degree between handle and blade.

Yeah, it makes me wonder if they continued after the iron age, or if it's a re-invention of the same thing.

• 8 months later...

Hi :)

After a long time I have finally finished one of welded sabres. 

Handle is made out of polished brass, 1mm thick leather, and ash wood, the dimensions are the same as previous ones :)

10.JPG

8.JPG

7.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

6.JPG

3.JPG

Regards, Rafał Garbacik.

9.JPG

Hi Rafal. Beautiful sword. Well done. I followed your link near the top of the page but unfortunately don't speak the language. Could you please give us a brief history behind this style of sabre? Many thanks.