Hi

I'm new here, this is my 2nd post. I mentioned on my first post recently that I got hooked on the idea of blade making after a weekend of binge watching 'Forged in Fire'. I couldn't wait for blade steel to arrive and couldn't find anything local so I grabbed the trusty 'lawnmowerbladium' stock that had been hanging on the garage wall unused for maybe 20 years and went to cutting. I know it is not likely going to be great steel for a knife but it is what I had on hand when the bug hit me.

The handle is ebay sourced burlap micarta, patina from boiled vinegar.

mhines-k01.jpg

So for my 2nd attempt, I did get some 1095. My wife asked me to make something for her and even though what I had is a bit thick ( 1/8' ) for a kitchen knife, I went for it anyway and ground down as much as I could with the little HF 1x30.

The handle is Bloodwood that I got from Woodcraft in Charlotte, finished in boiled linseed oil. I even got a bit of hamon showing, so for a second knife I am not disappointed.

mhines-k02.jpg

I have some more steel on order, so I'll be perusing this site for tips and ideas.

Regards,

-Mitch

Welcome Mitch and congratulations on becoming a certifiable addict!

Nice showing for your first two knives. How are you doing your heat treatment? IMNSHO this is the most important part of bladesmithing.

Thanks for coming out of the shadows and joining the forum.

not sure about your location, but the Harbor Freight I got my 1x30 grinder and belts from, only carries 40 and 80 grit in zirconia belts, and 80/120 in aluminum oxide.

On Amazon, there is a seller Red Label Abrasives. that sells a knife makers 6 pack bundle for the 1x30 ( 180g 220g 320g 400g 600g 800g ) for something like 26.00 or so. I ordered a set to give them a try and see if they were worth buying in volume, but have not had a chance to use them yet, hopefully will get a chance to give em a try this weekend.

But if you are having an issue sourcing higher grit belts locally, I would check Amazon, found quite a few options to be honest.

@Joshua, thanks. For Heat treating, I bought a Devil Forge on ebay, made in Lithuanian but free shipping. So I am just heating until the magnet doesn't stick and quenching in Canola oil. I'm pretty basic at this point.

@Robert, thanks. Yeah HF in Rock Hill, SC sells the sander but doesn't stock much in the way of belts so I hit amazon for that, Also got some 1000 and a leather 1x30 to help with sharpening.

Is the blanket in your forge exposed like in the eBay pictures? If so, coat it with a refractory super soon. That blanket will start releasing little glass fibers into the air and your lungs when it hits like 1800 degrees

Yes, Wes it is exposed. I'll plan on coating it, thanks

Ok good. Just don't want you to pay the price later in life. You are off to a good start with your knives as well. Looking forward to seeing what you make.