Question regarding Rust Bluing for Wes or anyone familiar

I read on a previous thread a post by Wes Detrick explaining the steps in Rust Bluing and I am very interested in trying it.

Wes mentions

"Saturate it with salt until no more can dissolve. Bring this solution to a boil....."

So my question is less technical and more of a safety issues. I assume if it will rust a knife that quickly that it would rust a pot just the same. How do I avoid getting beat over head by the wife with a rusted pot? Are you boiling in glass/microwave...or do you just have an old pot dedicated to the task?

Thanks,

--mitch

I've used this method several times now and love it.

I initially used an old, small propane tank I sawed the end off of and it did develop quite the layer of rust, and I found I didn't have nearly as long to rust to the blade before having to add more peroxide (so I'm assuming that rusting the pot was taking up a majority of those loose Oxygens that are needed for oxidation.)

Since then I have switched to a cheap old kitchen pot that used to be teflon coated (though its all scratched off), the wife didn't care because 1) It was old and she doesn't cook with it, 2) It was officially the "barf pot" in the house for when a random kid gets sick.... :blink: To my surprise, when I first used it I found it didn't rust. I'm guessing it is made out of aluminum or some nonferrous metal. So now the "Barf Pot" pulls double duty!

So my advice would be to visit a thrift store or yard sale and find the cheapest pot you can find.

I read on a previous thread a post by Wes Detrick explaining the steps in Rust Bluing and I am very interested in trying it.

Wes mentions

"Saturate it with salt until no more can dissolve. Bring this solution to a boil....."

So my question is less technical and more of a safety issues. I assume if it will rust a knife that quickly that it would rust a pot just the same. How do I avoid getting beat over head by the wife with a rusted pot? Are you boiling in glass/microwave...or do you just have an old pot dedicated to the task?

Thanks,

--mitch

Ya, I bought a cheap hot plate for the shop, and some thrift shop pots. The one that I do the rusting in is a stainless or aluminum pot and its holding up pretty well for something that I paid, I think $3 for, so go that route. When you do this, make sure you use some ventilation. Also make sure that there is nothing important that is metal above it, because you risk rusting that too. I just finished rust bluing a guard last night that is going to be on the knife under construction now.

Anyhow, good luck with it Mitch and post some pictures of how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have only ever rust blued one project and it was a large bowie blade I used salt peroxide and vinegar and heated it in a glass container in the microwave. It worked quite well for me but as I said it was a one off deal and I haven't done it again yet. The rusting was so quick I thought I could hear it lol